Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

Panasonic sa-st1 just turns itself off about 5 mins after starting

Panasonic sa-st1 just turns itself off about 5 mins after starting a dvd or cd what's up?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. If you do not play anything does this still happen?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Please disconnect all cables from it and then even if you need to use an extension cord even if the outlet is working with other devices test it with another outlet.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The outlet is definitely working there's an extension pluged in and the light is on, in order to unplug it I need to move furniture and a radiator cover

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
As I said in my reply even if it is working with other devices you still need to do this, it has nothing to do with the outlet.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what is it to do with cos I wasn't planning on redecorating?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You don't have to move anything...due to your reply I will be opting out and not continuing with you.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well as I've paid give me someone else, how difficult is it to explain why ?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I meant to mention that, it is more of a reset than anything. But your response was rude so I have opted out.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well for future reference you're supposed to help so pass it on

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I was trying to help you and you were rude to me. We choose whether or not we help someone on this site, we do not have to help anyone, and I have already opened this to all others. Please be aware they can all see all of your replies, so it may take a while for someone else to reply.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My reply wasn't rude you're being overly sensitive by your own admission you forgot to mention why I was doing it so why shouldn't I ask before disrupting the entire room

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Not that, this: "cos I wasn't planning on redecorating?" however the next person will still need you to tell them what the results were. So please try it and post the results of doing it here for them.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How is telling you I wasn't planning on redecorating rude? In order to remove the very tight fitting radiator cover it will and has torn the wallpaper. So no I wasn't planning on redecorating and now will have to. Is that rude no but it's inconvenient and expensive so I obviously didn't want to remove it unneccessarily.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You should not need to remove anything to disconnect the cables, and as I mentioned in my very first reply it is possible you will need a part. Once again when you can try it please leave the results for the next person.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i DID NEED TO REMOVE THE RADIATOR COVER TO ACCESS THE PLUG THAT YOU TOLD ME TO UNPLUG. iT IS UNPLUGGED AND THE CABLES ARE OUT, NO CLUE WHAT RESULTS YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Plug it into a different outlet even if you need to use an extension cord and see if the same thing happens.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

iT'S WORKING AT THE MO CAN IT PLUG BACK IN WHERE IT WAS OR DO i NEED TO REPLACE THE EXTENSION LEAD?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
It is unlikely to be the lead that is the problem or it wouldn't work in the first place.Go ahead and replug to the original location, and observe closely next time it happens.Report back when you have a moment to do so,Thank you,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Nathan that's what I thought but it's currently still playing, no doubt like Arnie I'll be back lol

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Haha, no problem at all, take your time. Just bookmark/favorite this page to get back to me when it is convenient for you.Note though that I am in the US, so depending on the time I may be offline for the night. I'll get back to you as soon as I can though.Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No problem it's still going so just reply when you can x

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Will do, thanks.(Sorry for all the back and forth - the site requires that I make the final reply, otherwise I won't be notified when you come back later)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nathan

It worked perfectly for a few days and then today went off again. I've run through disconnecting the cables, unplugging and connecting to a different socket via an extension, when reconnected it does stay on a bit longer but then goes off again.

So what now?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
This could be caused by a short in one of the speakers or components, thermal fault, or an internal defect in the amp itself. Though an internal hardware fault is the most likely, which often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2003 model that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. As a next step, can you disconnect everything from the main unit (all speakers/inputs) and connect it only to power, then let me know if it continues to shut itself down even with nothing else connected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We did have a power outage the night before the problem first started.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
That is a very likely cause of the problem then. Knowing if it happens with speakers disconnected will isolate the source of the fault, if you're able to test that. If you don't want to bother with that step (knowing about the power outage makes it almost certain that isn't the issue), we can move on and assume it is a main unit fault, and I'll advise further on that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok well we'll assume it's not that and move on

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so if this is surge damage, which again is the most likely, that means you've got a bad power supply or control board - something is overheating or shorting out inside the system, and prompting the shut down. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the panasonic2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct, and while it can be fixed, it is simply not practical to do so. Parts for this unit are long discontinued, and even if they were available you'd spend more ($300 on average) for labor than you would to buy a brand new system. The system actually has far surpassed its expected service life, and this type of failure is typical with these all in one theater systems, and is their biggest downside - when one component inevitably fails, the entire system has to be replaced - none of the parts are interchangeable with a new/different model. Your best option at this point will be to move on to a new system. Personally, I'd suggest going with a "separates" system, with an individual a/v receiver, surround speaker system, separate dvd/bluray player, etc. There are of course still all in one options too if space/budget is more limited. I'm happy to recommend options for either for you though, if you'd like. I can also help find a repair shop if you'd prefer. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I typed a reply but it's disappeared, The cd played all the way through although I obviously couldn't here it, I'll try the reset and see what happens.

No need to apologise Nathan it is what it is, and I've had it over 10 years so can't complain. All suggestions for replacements welcome. I have a spare set of panasonic speakers in the loft would it be worth trying them, it's a newer system, belongs to my son, I'm just storing it.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Are those spare speakers just standalone speakers, or were they part of some other similar "all in one" system?I ask because the theater system speakers are meant to be used only with their original system - they won't sound right without the matching sub, and the impedence of those speakers will damage most other amps. Which route would you be more interested in, separates or a self contained system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Self contained,

I do have the sub too and that one was a system too

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
That sub/speaker system won't work with anything except the original receiver/control module that it came with. So you'll have to start fresh with a whole new system. Here are a few I'd suggest:http://amzn.to/1LWuEmthttp://amzn.to/1IPqewVhttp://amzn.to/1M02Ezd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok don't want little square speakers and the others won't fit down the side of my tv, they would need to be as slim as the originals

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay another option you may consider, if you have space, would be a soundbar.This would be one long/wide speaker that would sit in front of or below the tv (Can be wall mounted or on shelf/table).That would be a self contained sound system, and you can then connect it direct to the tv, and have a separate/external dvd player.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
http://amzn.to/1Tqu9TW Or this model (with a separate sub for better bass), which can be used with the speakers apart, or joined together for use as a "bar" under the tv: http://amzn.to/1NZ6Bm2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well 120 w no

Don't worry I'll go have a chat with someone in the hifi specialist shop, really want to avoid loads of boxes everywhere tbh.

I want slim wall hung speakers x2 + 1 to sit above the tv and 2x on stands for the rear would like all in one cd/dvd radio as now

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay so you do want the full scale surround package, one of these may be a better fit: http://amzn.to/1TqvOZDWhat you want does exist with cd/bluray, but you'd be hard pressed to find anything that still has a radio tuner built in these days
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great no one in this country buys blu ray discs.So not exactly progress give us what we don't want or need and take away what we use lol

Thanks for trying Nathan x

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I'm very sorry, I didn't realize (or just forgot, as the days progressed) that you were in UK (while I'm in US).That does make a difference actually, and now I understand perhaps when you said 120w no you meant 120v vs 240.This uk specific model would be better suited to your needs: http://amzn.to/1IPFdGXOne thing to note is that while it lacks a proper fm or dab tuner, it does have network access, so you can stream many radio stations over the internet (from around the world even)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What about this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HT-J5150-Channel-Playback-Speakers/dp/B00UGK38LM/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Those are very similar, what you posted (http://amzn.to/1HSHjqR) is comparable, I specified the panasonic one because they tend to be better built and more reliable than the samsung.I thought you wanted the smaller speakers for the rears as well. I'd actually lean more toward whatever matches your display. If you have a samsung tv, get the samsung sound system, same with panasonic paired together or even LG. It just makes the hdmi control and ARC protocols work better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tv is Pioneer and getting on a bit, it's about 8 years old. I would have preferred to stick with the Panasonic as it's been great but it's got to look right and the way it's set up those little speakers would look odd. I currently have two tall boy speakers minus their stands wall mounted either side of the tv and the rear ones on their stands.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay that makes sense. I would go with whatever will look right in your situation, and with what you may plan on replacing the tv with. 8 years is a pretty typical end of life stage for the pioneer plasmas (they don't even make tvs any longer).
Nathan, Technician
Experience: Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yep been expecting it to go Pfffffttt for a while tbh but it's a great picture.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I miss mine too. Panasonic plasmas are the next best, ***** ***** making those 2 years ago, LG is the only one that makes plasma anymore.The new OLED technology is the only thing that really comes close, LED is not going to have the same blacks, but that is about all that is cost effective until oled technology is perfected and mass scale in a few more years. Hopefully yours holds out until then. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service when ready, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/ Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan