Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

On start up my DMR-EZ48vk DVD recorder reaches the greeting

On start up my DMR-EZ48vk DVD recorder reaches the HELLO greeting and goes no further. The code U61 appears for a short while then reverts to the HELLO. Going through the FREEZE procedure only shuts the unit down. Can you suggest how to get the unit functioning again?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect - the U61 error specifically points to a firmware recovery failure - though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2008 model that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising either. The one thing you can try is a system reset/initialization:While the unit is off, press and hold [STOP] and [CH UP] buttons on the main unit at the same time for 5+ seconds. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. While it can be fixed, it will not be practical to do so - parts are no longer available, and labor costs will easily exceed the replacement cost. Your best option at that point will be to replace the system with a new unit, though vcr units are difficult to find anymore. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bad news day. I've tried reset as you suggest with no joy. If you know of any options please let me know. I'm hoping to transfer about 100 VHS tapes to DVD then going completely DVD.

Allan

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about that, Allan,If you have access to another vcr, you can use a capture device with your pc: http://amzn.to/1HOzekZThat would let you have a digital archive of your tapes, which you can then still transfer to dvd, or even store on a usb hard drive for playback on most tvs without having so many discs. Alternately, you can buy a new recorder, however vcr/dvd combo units haven't even been made in about the last 5 years, so you'll really only find them used: http://amzn.to/1HOzIra If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even if the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/ Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan