Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

My name is***** own a DMR-BS750 Blue Ray recorder

Customer Question

Hi, My name is***** own a DMR-BS750 Blue Ray recorder and it just displays please wait permanently. I bought it from a seller on ebay and it was functioning on delivery. It went into standby a few times for no reason but returned to the on position. I have tried holding in the power button for 3 minutes then appears 0.00 so I pressed power button again hello appears for a couple of seconds then it goes back into please wait mode. It states in the manual that it's not broken. Can you please help me? Thanks Jackie.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Jackie.
Do you ever get any other error message on the screen, such as u71, etc?
Can you access the on screen setup menus at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,No errors, no you cannot access any setup menus as it just reads (Please Wait) permanently. Thanks Jackie.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming, Jackie.Unfortunately this tends to indicate an internal defect, meaning that the firmware is corrupted.Unplug the player for 5+ minutes to reboot, then Try downloading the firmware update from here: http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/bd/download/bw850/uk.htmlcopy to disc, and run that on the player
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, How do I run any firmware when the player is in standby all the time, I can't open the draw? Thanks Jackie.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Try holding down the eject button to force it to eject.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I've tried holding down the eject button but nothing. Jackie.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trying. Since even that won't function, it indicates we're looking at a deeper hardware fault here, meaning a defect with the control board. As this is a 2009 model seeing that type of fault just from normal age related wear and tear isn't surprising, and it could have certainly been damaged by a power surge or in transit since it was purchased. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct, however repairs simply aren't feasible.e There are no parts available for these units any longer and labor costs alone would exceed the price of a new unit with a fresh warranty. Should it come to that I'd suggest taking this up with the ebay seller or filing a purchase protection/warranty claim with ebay directly. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your information. The machine was working on arrival and I used it for about 3 weeks, then as I said before it went into standby a couple of time but returned to the on mode without a problem. The powercord then fell out of the player and it has been stuck in standby ever since. Do you think it's repairable? Could you tell me If you think it's worth taking it to the Panasonic repair center because they charge £30 to look at it?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't consider it worth repairing at this point, for a player of this age. You'll look at it for the 30 fee, but will likely give you the same answer, as they don't have parts stocked for them any longer. I would consider replacement to be a more practical investment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your advise. I just thought I'd mention I did take the problem up with ebay and they asked the seller to refund me but he refused to reply to me or ebay. In the end because I was honest and told them it was working on arrival they took his side and said they only do money back guarantee if item was broken on arrival. What are the chances of it being a firmware problem? Why do you think it was working fine for a while then nothing? Sorry about the daft questions but the unit cost me £200 . Regards Jackie.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Well as I mentioned this could be just normal age related failure, which is typical for a 5-6 year old unit (2009 model), you just happened to get it at the end of its expected service life. It may have also encountered a power surge - a power/shock damage could have been induced as the power cord fell out as you mentioned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your advice. Just one more question. You didn't answer my question concerning the firmware problem, is it possible the firmware needs updating? Jackie.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry. It is possible the firmware is corrupted, which can sometimes be resolved by an update. The issue is that you can't complete the update if you can't get the tray to open