Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I have a problem with my Onkyo TX- NR838 which keeps losing

Customer Question

I have a problem with my Onkyo TX- NR838 which keeps losing signal to the TV - I have a simple PC -> Onkyo -> TV setup with HDMI cables in between and I get intermittent signals to the TV and intermittent sound as if its losign the handshake between Onkyo and TV - any ideas?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Does video cut out also, or just audio?If you use another source (fm radio, cd player, etc) does audio cut out through the onkyo?Are you using surround speakers powered by the onkyo, or just feeding everything into the tv and using the tv speakers?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Video and audio cut out but only when I'm playing through the TV not through the monitor. I currently have Netflix running through the monitor and I've not had one problem at all (Ive turned the TV off). I'm running a GeForce GTX 780 video card and running it as a two screen set up - with the TV as the other screen. I love running movies across the TV whilst I work on the PC but its untenable with the cutouts. I have a 5.1 surround speaker system connected to the Onkyo.

Hope that helps!
Rob

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** does help. This is really coming down to a hardware fault unfortunately though - an extremely common problem with this model and onkyo in general. It means that the digital board inside (which contains the hdmi circuitry) is failing, and will eventually stop working at all. Even repairs aren't helpful because as it seems you've already experienced, the replacement board is built with the same design flaw and hardware defects that cause this in the first place. Since you have such a simple setup, the best option at this point (other than replacing the onkyo entirely) is to bypass the onkyo for hdmi/video functions. Run the output of the pc directly to the tv via hdmi. Then run a separate optical cable from the tv back to the onkyo for sound.The only downside to this is that you would only get audio from the onkyo while the tv is on, so if you're using it for pc sound while just using the pc monitor (and no tv) that may be an issue. You can get around that too though by running spdif or stereo audio out from the pc direct to the onkyo. There is another step you can try here, for a microprocessor reset on the onkyo. It may give temporary relief, but you have to reconfigure all settings after and it is really not likely to help. I've seen so many of these onkyos come in with this exact same hdmi board defect, there really is no other logical cause of it.If you'd prefer to replace the onkyo, I can recommend a better model for you that won't have these problems.Best regards,Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Appreciate that - I've had it less than a year so I'll contact the store to argue a replacement. I think there is sound cause but it did work for a while and seems to degrade! Thanks for the advice. Not sure how to do what you suggest but I'll work it out!
Rob

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome, Rob. It is an easy process, just move the hdmi cord from pc directly to the tv (say hdmi1 input). No hdmi at all between onkyo and tv.Tv should have a "digital audio out" port on back. Plug in an optical cable: http://amzn.to/1U16tpu from that tv output to the hdmi1 input on the onkyo (say the optical1/game port), set onkyo to Game mode and you should get sound out that way. Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks! Will do!

I have replied with excellent service - thanks for your support.

Rob

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Received, thanks for the rating.Nathan