Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I am fitting a new 250gb hard disk to my recorder DMR-BS750,

I am fitting a new 250gb hard disk to my recorder DMR-BS750, how do I format it to enable it to work.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. These devices use a proprietary file system so you should not need to format it before inserting it. After changing the hard drive the first time it is detected it should automatically get formatted by the machine. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy,

Sorry I have not as yet rated your answer to my question,BUT, I did try and fit a 500gb disk into my machine but it did not work, I since found out that it would only read a 250gb disk as that is what it was supplied with. Problem is I ordered a new disk which was supposed delivered yesterday but now I am told it will not now arrive until 13rth at least, so I am unable to rate your answer, but if all goes well I can see me giving the best possible. Does this help you or do you want me to rate you and come back to you if the new disk does not format itself.

***** *****nan..

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
No problem take all the time you need.From your question I thought you were using a 250GB drive since you never mentioned a 500GB drive before. If you get an email to rate you can ignore it unless you prefer to rate now. Let me know the results once you get the new drive either way please.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy,

Thanks for your reply, I must have had an OAP mind blast when sending in my original inquiry. I would rate you as first class and hope you get all you can money wise from the net site.

As soon ads I get my new hard drive I will let you know how I get on. I have given my so called supplier a blast as I paid for next day delivery and they had stated that they had the item in stock. Hey ho just have to wait.

***** *****nan

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
No problem take all the time you need.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy,

My new hard disk arrived today and I have fitted it to the machine.

BUT, it will not format and I have tried several ways, connecting the power line and pushing the start button, no effect, I did this both with the aerials connected and unconnected. I managed to get into the setup and did an HDD format but no luck. It went as far as 16% then stopped sating needed formatting. On the first and second attempt I got the words up that the disk needed re formatting, I was to unplug it then plug it back in and start with the power switch, but no difference.

I inserted a DVD which I had been using on my computer and tried to format it but got the same answer as that to the hard disk, so it would seem to me that I formatting disk of some sort must be needed, but I am not an expert. Over to you.

***** *****nan.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Can you try using the computer to format the hard drive first? Then go back into the machine once fitting the drive and reformat again, see if it gets beyond 16%.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am only able to format in NTFS will this make any difference? Reason I ask is that I did this with the 500gb disk and got to the same stage.

Mark.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
No it should not make a difference because you are going to reformat it again anyway.You can use this tool though if you want to format to something else: Click Here. If you use that I suggest FAT32.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy,

I burnt the midnight oil doing the format into FAT32 and re fitted the disk to the machine. Hay Ho no luck, I got the same message as before. It did not format itself on start up and when I was able to get into the HDD format section it did up to the same 16% as before.

Unless there is anything else you can suggest I think I am going to have to travel to a dealer repair merchant.

***** *****nan.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Darn, Unfortunately there is not anything else I can think of because if it is still getting stuck at 16% .the problem is being caused by the hardware in the DMR itself and would need to be looked at by a technician. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your DMR.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy,

I have taken my machine to the registered repair dealer and I have been told the only way to replace the disk is to have one ordered from Panasonic where they have done something to the hard disk to enable it to format, they are ordering one and are to fit it as they will not let me do it.

Will let you know the outcome.

Mark.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy,

I have now got my recorder back with a new hard disk fitted. It would appear that Panasonic do something to the hard drive which stops you putting in a disk of your own.I checked the hard disk in my computer and it did not come up with any reading to state what format it was in, normally it would state Fat 32 or HTML. I have the part number for the new disk if anyone needs it, BUT, they charge £115.45 for the disk!

I have heard that if one can get a copy of the disk they use to format hard disks one could save a bit of cash but not knowing a Panasonic engineer to try and get a copy is the trick.

Good hunting,

Marek Hannan.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That sounds like they used a proriatary file system but the unit is supposed to format to the system automatically. They may have done it with their own software since your unit was refusing to. Similar to how they have service remotes for their TV's that work when the TV will not respond otherwise.