Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I have just switched to a Sky HD box and when I turn my TV

I have just switched to a Sky HD box and when I turn my TV on it won't automatically go to EXT 5 , I have to manually scroll through the source menu. Model number is *****
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
What other devices, if any, are connected to the tv?
What input is it defaulting to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a DVD/VCR connected via a SCART. When I switch the TV on the display on top right is showing 5 C-05, I then have to use the source button on the remote to scroll through to EXT 5
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Did it ever do this (go directly to scart upon turning on) previously, or are you just now wanting to change it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sky box we had before was connected via SCART but we have changed to HD and therefore it is now connected via HDMI
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you for confirming.Is the scart your ext5 input?It sounds like the tv is detecting and defaulting to the vcr, because scart is a 2 way connection.Can you try disconnecting the vcr and let me know if the tv falls to the remaining hdmi input when powered on next?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Disconnected the SCART and TV still doesn't power up to hdmi
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming.There is not a specific user menu setting/adjustment to change the default input. What we could do is get into the tv service menu (really intended for engineers use only) and change the source/input list of available items. By restricting it just to the hdmi and scart ports, it won't be able to default to ext5 it if is no longer an option, but it still may not choose the hdmi input either. There is always a danger as well that in accessing the service menu that you will accidentally make other adjustments, some of which cannot be recovered and can permanently damage the tv. With that in mind, do you wish to try this option?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want it to default to EXT 5 as this is the source that the HDMI works from but it won't
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
To do that, we would have to remove all the other sources as options from with in the service menu. Essentially that means that if you press the input button, you'd see ext5 (hdmi) as the only option. That is what I was suggesting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will give it a go
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
OKay, grab your remote,press MENU 4725 (quickly)scroll down to the SOURCE section of the menu,and deselect (off) any you do not want/needExit the menu, and check for functionality
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On speaking to my partner we have decided to not go with this option just in case. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, and I'm sorry there isn't a quicker fix here.What you could do, if you don't feel comfortable adjusting the service menu, would be to buy a macro programmable universal remote, such as a logitech harmony ( http://amzn.to/1hw7bgy ) that will work for all of your devices. It is programmed through an easy to use software program on your computer, which downloads the most up to date remote and device codes from the internet, so it is virtually guaranteed to work with all equipment. It will also give you easy to use macro functionality, so you can press a single button to watch a movie for example, and it will turn on the dvd player, tv, and surround system, tune to the correct inputs on the tv, and start the movie playing, etc.