Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Panasonic DMR-HW220 which has just stopped connecting

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic DMR-HW220 which has just stopped connecting to our Samsung smart TV. Nobody has unplugged any cables. I thought I might have pressed an incorrect button but I got reception back, albeit shaky, for 20 minutes or so earlier but it has now given up again. I think it was recording earlier as it should. Any ideas?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step as a few minutes is too short, remove the power from the wall socket for both the recorder and the TV and wait 10 minutes.
Then plug first the TV in then the recorder and tell me please i it is now functioning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sadly not - had to wait for my husband so benn off over an hour. Still comes up with 'no signal' message on tv

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, is the TV working for other devices Rebecca?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We don't currently run any other devices through the TV but I can use it as a tv

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, that confirms it.
On the Panasonic, open the flap on the front and hold the Channel up and Channel down buttons for 10 seconds then release.
This should reset the player and you will then be required to set it up again
Do this and let me know please if it now functions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We have done this and the display on the Panasonic says SETUP but still no connection to the TV

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is the recorder that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the recorder to have it replaced. It is a known problem, so it will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We have now taken the machine to the Panasonic repair centre and it was perfectly fine with them. Brought it back and updated software on TV and was able to access PVR to reset it. Now working fine.