Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

My Panasonic DMR-BWT700 Blu-ray disc Recorder has worked

Customer Question

Hi - my Panasonic DMR-BWT700 Blu-ray disc Recorder has worked immaculately since I bought it new about 4-5 years ago. It has been in use every day over that period.
On 20 August we moved to a new house. I carried the recorder in my car with great care. Since reconnecting it at the new property, the only thing it will do is show "HELLO" in the display panel. no display on the TV screen and no hard drive action. All connections are as before and are all OK (I have purchased a new DMR-PWT635 which works perfectly).
Help!
Keith
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Unfortunately, Keith, this tends to indicate an internal fault. This is most likely the result of a failed hard drive (which may have been shaken/jarred in transport) or the result of static shock/surge damage in the connection/disconnection process.As an initial step, please hold down the power button on front for 10+ seconds for a quick reset and let me know if that changes anything. Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that, Nathan, it was kind of what I was afraid to hear! Iv'e tried your suggestion, and can now get "Hello" as before, plus both "HDD" and the "timer set" clock logo in the display window. I think I heard the HDD run up, but there are no further indicators, or actions that the machine will let me do.

If, as I suspect, I'm going to have to buy a new machine, is there any way I can retrieve the stuff I have on the HDD?

Help so far much appreciated - I'll tip at the end!

Regards,

Keith

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Give the reset another process, after the additional step of unplugging power to it overnight.Unfortunately the contents are encrypted so you really can't access any of the internal content.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks again for such a prompt response - given that I won't be able to get the stuff off the hard drive, I guess I'll keep persevering with the on/off button!

Cheers,

Keith

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
It is possible that if you bought the exact same model you could swap the old drive in, but this may be a drive issue in the first place, and you really can't find this model any longer anyway, so it is probably a moot point.