Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I have a DRT389H DVD recorder. Now when I try to use it, if

I have a DRT389H DVD recorder. Now when I try to use it, if I insert a blank Verbatim DVD+R or +RW, it asks if I want to initialise the disc. After doing this, it ejects the disc and when it has been re-inserted it "reads" it and asks the same question about initialisation. If I insert a disc which has been recorded by the DRT389H it tells me "unknown disc please check". Is there anything I can do to rectify this problem? John Coole
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens). If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (http://amzn.to/1w1eNgB) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly. If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.