Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Karaoke Systems Manager, signal specialist, all recorders and players expert
63817454

My machine, DMR-EZ48VEB has worked well but a

My machine, DMR-EZ48VEB has worked well for sometime but a new fault has shown up that I cannot solve. Everthing that it plays on DVD or on EPG is colour distorted. Currently it has a purple tint but it has also been recently been showing excessive red colour. Playing a live TV programme is ok as is playing on VHS. Can I fix it or is it's useful life finished?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. What type of cable is used to connect the video to your TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Scart; is there any other way. I re-affirm that the equipment has been working completely satisfactorily for a number of years now with exactly the set up I have still.

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there are three other ways. Scart runs on different electronics than the HDMI, component, and composite outputs. Use HDMI if you have HDMI on your TV. This will give you HD video and audio. Tell me how it looks. If you don't have HDMI, use component for 720p.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not have HDMI, I just want to get back to the satisfactory situation I had before.

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Well, it sounds like your Scart may be going out. The other outputs will still work, if it is in fact the Scart that is going out. The only thing we can do to try to revive the Scart output, is to reset the machine. Open the disc tray. On the front of the unit (not the remote) Press drive select. Press and hold stop and record for about 5 seconds, or until it resets. If that doesn't fix it, you will have to use one of the other outputs, like the red/green/blue, or the red/white/yellow.
Rusty, Engineer
Experience: Karaoke Systems Manager, signal specialist, all recorders and players expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well done, you found the cause of the problem. It did not however need the treatment you suggested, perhaps like me you couldn't believe it could be so simple either. The cure is what I really should have tried before I contacted you. The Scart plug at the the machine output was found to be slightly loose. I'm very annoyed with myself for not finding it myself but nevertheless you DID solve the problem and I am happy with the result.Everything is now back to normal.

I think I was put off course by the fact that all OTHER functions were acting normally. That was probably the very symptom that sent you correctly to the reason.

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
In the US, we don't use Scart, it's an old technology over here, we use HDMI. HDMI is the step up, because they don't come loose like Scart connectors can. I'm glad we were able to resolve the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It may be an 'old technology' but that does not make it 'bad technology'. If there was a problem, it was mechanical not electrical/electronic. Just stop the plug coming loose and Scart is fine. I am so opposed to technologies changing so fast that what the consumer has becomes unuseable. The main reason to have a unit like the one with which I had the problem is that it can still play VHS. i also have a unit that can playcasette tapes and CD's. I still have some vinyl discs and rue the fact that I would have to buy new equipment to play them.

As far as the equipment relating to this problem is concerned, it does have HDMI output but my OLD tv is analogue and needs the Panasonic digital receiver with an analogue output. I has no access for an HDMI input.

Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, I too am not a fan of planned obsolescence. However when it's time to upgrade your TV, consider HDMI as the new way of doing things. It is the new standard. One thing Scart has an advantage over is digital copyright protection, which is still a problem with HDMI and recording.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the tip for when I eventually upgrade--not before necessary!