Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Panasonic DMR BWT720 HDD/DVD Recorder, with a Buffalo external

Panasonic DMR BWT720 HDD/DVD Recorder, with a Buffalo external hard-drive registered and attached. Various problems of access to, and loss of, data. Would like to recover as many recorded TV programmes as possible. First internal HDD faulted and operated very slowly. Then, on trying to eject a DVD, the system has either wiped the internal HDD or is preventing access to it. At this point the external hard drive still operated through the machine. But later, I accidentally disconnected the external drive, and it now denies access to that (although I think the programmes/data are still on it). Machine is now trapped in a U61 fault spiral. What's the chances of getting access to rescue the programmes.
Thanks, Neil
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Neil, ill be honest, chances are next to none as all the symptoms point to a hard disk failure, requiring the hard disk to be replaced, but we can of course try.
First, Are you able to connect the hard drive to a computer? Do you have the adapter for this?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have now physically connected the external hard drive to my laptop. The laptop makes the sound when something is connected via a USB port, but I cannot see a link to it in the normal place.Please note that Panasonic say that programmes transferred to the external drive from the main HDD recorder machine can only be viewed on that machine. The drive has to be registered to that machine (and still is). I just can't get the HDD recorder machine to read it. Neil.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I understand Neil but any repairs of the data we have to do via the computer.
Go to Start, computer, and tell me if you see the drive listed there please.
If so, tell me the drive letter it has
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As advised, unlike my USB sticks, when inserted it makes the same noise but creates no visible link where these normally arrive. So the empty CD drive is 'D', the memory stick is 'E', but this external hard-drive does not appear there. Neil.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Neil it confirms the problem
It is the hard drive that has faulted.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the drive to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.