Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a 5-year old Panasonic DVD recorder DMR-EX769 which

I have a 5-year old Panasonic DVD recorder DMR-EX769 which in the last year has been giving intermittent sound/picture loss on playback. Sometimes it is sound loss only, other times both together and usually just for a few annoying seconds. Channel signal strengths are good and, according to Panasonic's advice, factory reset does seem to solve the problem for a period, and then we are back where we started.
There is no pattern to the problem. A program will run for 50 minutes or 5 minutes before the problem, and then be restored after a few seconds or longer. When picture is lost the screen either goes black or snowy.
I hope you can help where Panasonic have failed. Roger.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Just to be sure, have you replaces the signal cable to rule this out as the fault? If not can you do this and then test and tell me if you still get the problem please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By signal cable do you mean the HDMI cable? This is the only connection between DVD recorder and TV, apart from aerial connections.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If this is the connection your using to it then yes, can you replace this with a different cable and tell me if you still have the issue please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would be useful to have some kind of explanation why I am getting intermittent sound/picture breaks. If it is the HDMI cable that is at fault why does it function OK for more than 90% of the time? What else could cause the problem?I only record onto the hard drive. Could this be malfunctioning in some way?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It may be, but first I wish to rule out the cable as the issue.
Can you do this please? O