Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

DMR-EX769. Refuses to show anything other than , Bye,

Customer Question

DMR-EX769. Refuses to show anything other than Hello, Bye, U80 or the time. Unable to open or close to play or remove my blank DVD on which I'd set up Mary Poppins yesterday. Normally set up programs every day. Studied Troubleshooter in instruction manual, which simply advised to turn the main set (the TV) off and on. No help! Can you advise, please?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Welcome
U80 is a communication error please try and reboot the unit itself by unplugging it from the wall waiting 5 mins then replugging back in again
Let me know if there is any change
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Anthony, The recorder showed Please and Wait many times then settled on 1. Able to remove my DVD but then reinserted to set up film for my great-grandchildren. Unable to get the Guide up or Function Menu, so still have a problem. Please I am happy to pay the £28 if you can solve this, but I do NOT want to be forced to pay £28 MONTHLY. I tried to cancel but couldn't. Can you ensure I only pay the one-off fee, assuming you are able to fix this. I am 80 and not savvy with technical problems and computers. Thanks.
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
I will let admin know you want to cancel any subscription or you can email them yourself***@******.***
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. ***** prefer to write as my hearing is poor, so instructions in black and white much better to follow. Awaiting your next instructions, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I have sent an e-mail to***@******.*** regarding cancelling the monthly fee.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, and for any delay in getting a reply to you.Anthony has left the question. U80 is a communication error, but usually relates to a faulty control board.Initially, please press and hold the power button on the front of the unit for 10 seconds, and let me know if anything changes.If not, we'll try a deeper level reset process next. Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan, no change. Sorry, I should have added previously that if I try Direct Navigator and OK it does appear to start taping as a count starts. Obviously I can't check if it is actually doing so! No Guide or Function Menu, though Stop and Return also work. Next??
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately this indicates a firmware fault (bad eeprom). There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure, which will require repair/replacement. Let me know the results and I'll advise on options.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trying. Unfortunately, that confirms a hardware defect, which isn't at all surprising to see on a 7 year old unit (they were built for a 3 year service life).Repairing these is typically not practical - there are no parts available, and labor costs alone would be double the value of the system. Replacing it is really the only feasible option at this point. Here is a model I'd suggest: http://amzn.to/22ytFk9 Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience: Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your efforts. Happy New Year! Cheers! Hazel