Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

Sharp fv - db1e(w)I can't read the display panel. Is there

sharp fv - db1e(w)
I can't read the display panel. Is there anything that can be done to fix it?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Unfortunately no, there really isn't anything that can be done here, if the display is not visible then the internal lcd components or the underlying control board has failed. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2004 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. These units were designed for about a 3 year service life. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; at which point the unit would need to be replaced. It simply is not worth fixing as there are no parts available and labor alone would cost many times the value of the unit. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan