Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Recorder DMR EX 773 Television TX-L32E30B I cannot record

Recorder DMR EX 773 Television TX-L32E30B
I cannot record from the TV. If press the green Guide button n the Recorder handset, it says 'Dig'a at the side and 'no programme details available' at the top. In the window of the Recorder, it says AV1 all the time and not Guide or the time as it usually does when not being played.
Prior to this the TV picture sometimes stopped and a sign said 'operation will be restored in a while, please press OK. The window in the Recorder says 'please wait'. After 2 or 3 minutes the TV picture returns. It used to do this rarely. Now it does it more frequently. Are the two problems related?
Kevin
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you please remove the power to the recorder (so unplug it from the power socket).
Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the record, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No difference
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
On the actual recorder (lift down the flap on the bottom right) and with it powered on, hold the channel UP and Down buttons for 6 seconds then release.
This will reset the unit. It will then lead you through the setup like when you first received it. Complete this and when you have, tell me if it is now functioning correctly please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done this twice but nothing has happened. There's no set up process
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the issue
It is the internal memory that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it. The fact that we cannot get to the setup, confirms it is the memory that shorts out, and causes the device to stall.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the recorder to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The machine is about 4 years old, so I am not sure if the warranty still applies. If the warranty is still good, where do I send the recorder.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
4 years old means the warranty has expired sorry. And to fix this requires a replacement of the mainboard which exceeds the value of a replacement (which is why no one will offer this repair).
You will need to in this situation, purchase a replacement unit sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
£1000 for a working life of 4 years does not seem good value for money - not that I am blaming you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I understand, though £1000 is a extreme amount to pay for it, back when they were for sale they were around £350 at most locations, so I am not sure why you paid so much for it.... but I appreciate you noting I can only tell you the reality of the situation.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer