Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

I have had a Panasonic DMR-EX99V few years. Every time I hav

Hi. I have had a Panasonic DMR-EX99V for a few years. Every time I have tried turning it on today it shows U99. I have tried unplugging it and waiting (well over) 5 minutes but it still displays U99 when I turn it back on. Can you help, please?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question if you still need assistance.
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
Shirley, unfortunately, this error is usually fatal. It means that the main board has failed. That is what it is the vast majority of the time. That's not from the service manual - just my experience after dealing with it countless times. But we can still go over the official instructions of what Panasonic says to do.PROBLEM - U99 is a code which appears on the display unit of the device itself which indicates that the system is failing to operate properly. (I think this goes without saying).Generally this problem occurs due to discontinuous power failure or standby by failure.SOLUTION - The recommended solution... Press [POWER ] on the main unit to switch the unit to standby. Press [POWER ] on the main unit again to turn the unit on.So basically switching it in and out of standby mode. Of course, you've tried that.The rest of it talks about making sure your device is connected to a surge protector, etc. So nothing useful from the service manual. Another thing you can try is plugging the unit it while holding the power button and continue to hold after the power comes to it. But I think the most likely reason is a failed main board - and repair of that would generally cost more than replacement of the unit.Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** definitely purchase a new one. Just wondering if it is possible to recover the recordings on the hard drive?
Only if you buy the exact same model I don't know if that will be practical... there are other options - like data recovery service, but none that I would consider being reasonable in terms of cost unless there is some extremely important stuff on there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thank you.