Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Pan DVD Recorder DMR-EX79EB it is about 6 years

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Pan DVD Recorder DMR-EX79EB it is about 6 years old. Yesterday I found the guide on the remote would not bring up the list of programmes as it always has done - the guide page comes up with just the time of day and the Diga name in a box. There is little else and no ability to use the guide - let alone create the repeat link for the whole series. I have changed the batteries as I thought it might be lack of power. Made no difference. Do I need to buy another remote for that model? As I have come to the conclusion that something has gone wrong in the remote itself. I hope if that is the case that you can point me in the right direction where they are still available , as it is an older model. I spent an hour fiddling with it last night!! very frustrating............. thanks Suz Dobson
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you please remove the power to the recorder (so unplug it from the power socket).
Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the recorder, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have tried that but the problem is still there - I have means of using the guide to record programmes. I can still do it the long winded way - that takes for ever and there is no way to repeat record a series. Do I need a new remote? Suz
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
We need to confirm this Suz
On the recorder itself, hold the channel up and down buttons for 6 seconds and release which should then reset the recorder.
Set it up again and once done, tell me please if you still have the issue.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nothing has changed. AV1 is coming up on the screen where it normally says the number of the station. Suz
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Are other functions via the remote working? Is it only the guide?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes it is only the guide, either using the green button marked guide or using the right hand oblong button and then scrolling down to the label guide and clicking on OK. Everything else seems fine . Suz
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
It is the internal memory that has faulted in the recorder, this is also why it would not reset. It is not the remote (if that failed nothing would work on it)
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the recorder to have the board replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Richard, I think, as the recorder is 6/7 years old we will simply have to buy another recorder as it will be out of warranty by now and we will lose all the programmes we have recorded and not viewed yet. Catch up on the PC is not the same!! Thanks for your help and can you make sure I am not paying £27 a month - when this is the first thing to go wrong and I would be paying monthly for you excellent service but not using it!! Cheers ***** *****
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you confirm I am not going to be paying £27 a month please - am happy to pay for your help. Please confirm monthly payments have been cancelled. Thank you Suz
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
I cannot see anything about your account as I am only an engineer here, but if you did not sign up for the monthly subscription, then its a one time charge.
If your not sure if you did Suz, email customer service on***@******.*** and they can check this for you
Let me know if you have any difficulties please