Dan
Dan, Broadcast Engineer
Experience:  I am a member of The Society of Broadcast Engineers for a local CBS station
1567601

I have Panasonic DVD recorder DMR-EZ49VEB. At present when

Customer Question

I have Panasonic DVD recorder DMR-EZ49VEB. At present when switching on AV1 appears on the display and channel selection will only show AV2 and AV3. Using the remote and pressing Function menu only brings up contorted TV image. The playing of a video cassette only results in sound with no picture. All electrical connections have been checked and appear to be in order.
Can you help please!?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. Just to be clear, you have a device plugged into AV1 of the DVD recorder which is then connected to your TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Since contacting you yesterday, I have tested the DVD recorder again this morning, and have found that it is now apparently working perfectly! I have not done anything else to the unit today other than to check all connections were in place. The problem had occurred before on a very intermittent basis, but have always been able to cure it following the instruction manual, until now! Thank you for your response - anything else needed?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Just check your cables. You may have a bad one that is causing the issue. Feel free to contact me if you have any problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having rechecked the unit, playing of DVD disc appears to be fine. However have noticed that when playing VHS cassette tapes picture is lost to 'snowstorm' background with sound, or picture 'jumps' if cables are moved. If faulty cable(s) is the answer to replace them, and are replacements obtainable?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It could be a couple of things. One being the cable, but if the video is snowy, that tells me the heads are probably dirty and need cleaned. You can try a head cleaning kit similar to the one at this LINK. If that doesn't work, you will need to have it professionally cleaned. Don't try using multiple tapes until you have the heads cleaned as you can transfer the contamination and you may need to start all over again.