Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35+ years in the business and still at it everyday
39158752

My vr320 wont memorise channels from a digital aerial. what

my vr320 wont memorise channels from a digital aerial. what am I doing wrong?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I`m Jack Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first a few questions ;Are we talking about a Samsung DVD-VR320 unit or something else ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I have it connected to a digital aerial then using the RFollowing cable out to a TV set. I have also tried it with the scary connection. The menu appears but when I select auto scan, it goes through the motions but then shows a message that no channels have been memorised
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry ,I meant scart
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
LOL no problem (scart/scary)
Sorry to be stickler for details here but that YES , was that to confirm that you indeed have a Samsung DVD-VR320 ?
How long have you had that unit ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At least 10 years. Definitely prior to digital tv
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a dvd/vcr combo
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then , wanted to double check that and that is exactly the problem , this older model cannot receive digital OTA (over the air) signal , only the older analog which are off the air .You would need a digital to analog tv converter
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Right now it is searching for analog signals which are no longer there
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Here is a device that should do it , click the lin below;http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freeview-Receiver-Recorder-TELEVISION-CONVERTER/dp/B00JAEGGCS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455068213&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=digital+tv+converter&psc=1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cheers,have ordered the unit suggested
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good , thanks for the rating !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jack, I ordered the unit from the link you gave and have spent all day trying to get it to work. It will receive digital signals and store them but not when is connected to the vr320 as per instruction diagrams and does not convert the signal to analogue.
In fact the description on the sellers website states analogue to digital converter, the opposite of what's required. Any thoughts on this?
Mal
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
How did you plug it in the VR , did you use a coaxial cable and connected it into the tuner input ?If you did then no wonder it wont work , the vr tuner is defective and that is what you are try to replace
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
By the way , about the digital to analog converter , that is a mistype I`m sure , I mean that this unit receives DIGITAL signals over the air and converts then to SCART (analog) so to me that says digital to analog , not the other way around .One thing that I do concede here is the fact that I thought this unit had other outputs or way to connect beside the scart and RF coaxial out .Possibly now that a simply scart to audio/video adapter would do the trick , I mean you should be able to get one locally , that is a plain adapter plug , scart is analog ,the same as audio /video like what is on your dvd-vr320
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metre-Scart-Triple-Phono-Audio/dp/B00OO45P1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455556935&sr=8-1&keywords=scart+to+audio+video
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Jack, I think I might have one and I'll try tomorrow and get back to you
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
no problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Jack, I'm now giving up on this project. No matter what I try it just doesn'the work so I'll just use the signal converter to record to usb stick.
Several local experts, including one at PC World tell me that the vr320 combo is now only fit for playback and cannot be made to receive digital signals but thanks for your interest anyway.
Cheers
Mal