hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Installer
Experience:  I am a certified Cable Television installer in the state of Hawaii
40928634

I have a TVonics DTR-HD500 recorder which has given faultless

Customer Question

I have a TVonics DTR-HD500 recorder which has given faultless five years service. It refuses to start up. If mains disconnected goes to starting on main box for approx. 1 minute and then returns to standby. remote has power. Any suggestions?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 1 year ago.
Hello there this is a classic case of the power supply not being able to provide enough power to run the unit; hence it cannot get out of standby.​Most probably this is caused by the capacitors on the power supply board (the board fed from the power cord) breaking down. You can see bulging at the top or leaking from the capacitors.You can open the recorder and check the power supply board if you are confident to do this.If the internal hard disk had failed the unit would boot but you would get a warning on screen since the normal live picture would still be outputted by the recorder.My rule of thumb is that if a unit costs more than half the cost of buying a new one; buy a new one especially if this is 5 years old. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.