Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I am disabled and have an LG DVD Recorder Model; DR197 which

Customer Question

I am disabled and have an LG DVD Recorder Model; DR197 which has stopped recognising dvd's recorded on it, and other purchased dvd's which play on just a ,player
I am being expected to pay £69 to get the machine to repair engineers in Exeter, 19 miles away, who will look at the problem but who suggest that the problem is likely to be a faulty laser; but cannot advise on a priced for the laser. The owner's manual I have does not mention a laser in the specifications for the machine or in the Troubleshooting pages.
Can you advise me please; Does this model have a laser? If so, what does a new one cost? Would a replacement ensure that the unit will record to discs again and will play other dvd's as in the past?
Your guidance will be much appreciated.
many thanks
Roy ***@******.***
01837 840547
Category: Recorders and Players
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeYes it has a Laser, all DVD units have this, the Laser is what detects and writes the signal on the disk.If the unit is out of warranty Roy, replacing the Laser is not finaincially viable, it would cost more in parts and labor with a limited warranty, then replacing the unit. Especially as you can get one for £129.99 hereClick me to openthis is why a repair is not feasible and you would only be paying them £69 to tell you what I am telling you now. If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard
The dvd you suggests was second hand with a 12 month guarantee, but are new ones available from anyone?.
There are some on Amazon USA, but can I use one of them in the UK?
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot ........... I was asked this morning if I had used a DVD cleaner disc to see if that rectified the laser problem.
I haven't tried that. ....... Should I?
Roy
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, they will be locked and different power.The new ones are twice the costs, whats your budget on them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Say...... £300.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I recommend then this one, its both a DVD recorder AND hard drive recorder, (hard drive recorders are a lot better)http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DVD-Recorder-Freeview-HDD/dp/B015341TLG/ref=lp_1035194_1_2?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1459780954&sr=1-2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought I'd sent another query as well. I was advised to use a dvd cleaner to solve the laser problem. Should I try that?
The Panasonic looked good until I read some of the awful adverse comments on it. Some say it's the worst machine they've ever had??????????????????? Other say it is the best ????????????????
Have you any other dvd's in mind?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The cleaner is not for this type of issue.I recommend Panasonic, they give the least problems.