info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Technician for many high street outlets 20 years plus experience
18621325

I have a Panasonic DMR EX86 DVD recorder with hard drive.

I have a Panasonic DMR EX86 DVD recorder with hard drive. It has been excellent up until now. Nothing has been altered but every time Sky is switched on, it starts recording and I can't get it to stop. I have resorted to leaving the dvd unplugged but that means we can't watch DVDs and I have material on there that I wish to keep. I had hoped that disconnecting and reconnecting would work but it didn't! I have tried leaving Sky out of the circuit but the DVD unit won't work at all then. Help please! Janice
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
HelloWelcome How do you have the sky connected to the recorder please? Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do. I have both the TV and Sky connected. Sky is connected with a scart lead
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
OK are you using the sky remote to also control the DVD?it seems like the sky remote is putting the DVD recorder into record mode?have you thought that may be a possibility?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I had not considered that. No-one has done anything intentionally. The DVD has it's own remote and only that one has been used for controlling it.
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
The sky remote is programmable its my guess that somehow its working the DVD as well as the sky box you need to cancel it doing that, there should be something on the sky website or with any literature you have for the box about wiping the remote it then should not operate the DVD at the same time?I cant think of any other wy this could be happening, the only way to prove that theory is switch on the sky MANUALLY does the box then go into record mode?if it does not it will be the remote switching on the DVD, its just a matter then of clearing the memory for the sky remote Please consider rating the answer positively there will be a rating bar of stars usually at the top of the page, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, ***** ***** will remain open and stay open as long as you need it, if you have any concerns please reply back and I will address any of your concerns, note the question NEVER closes, its open for further advice if necessary Many Thanks Anthony
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Just to explain what I mean by manually I mean press the button on the sky box ITSELF to switch it on that way will prove if its the box switching the DVD on OR the remote switching the DVD on you see?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have switched off Sky and then on again on the actual box rather than using the remote. It made no difference. It is now recording and I can't stop it apart from switching off Sky or unplugging the DVD player/recorder
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
OK unplug the scart from the back of the box and do the same thing again switch sky on manually
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Is the box now quiet obviously you will need to get back to square one with the DVD unplug it or whatever
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Not box I mean DVD
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
How is this test working out please?its just a test so I understand what is happening thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I have been out for the afternoon. Trying now .....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have removed the scart from the back of the DVD and switched Sky on manually. Nothing is happening with the DVD. When I try to switch on the DVD, it comes back with the letters E T L and won't switch on
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
You need to upgrade the firmware the machine has lost control due to corrupt firmware http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dvd/download/ex86/uk.html <<click Let me know if you need more help Please consider rating the answer positively, rating me positively enables me to receive a fee from the site (if you do not do that I do not receive anything from the site), thank you, ***** ***** will remain open and stay open as long as you need it, if you have any concerns please reply back and I will answer any queries you have Many Thanks Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, but how do I do that? It is not connected to the internet
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
You download with your computer and you either make a CD or make a usb or sd flash drive and insert it into the usb or sd service port on the unit all the info is there to do this however i do understand it can be difficult for some people, this is MEANT to be done by the user that site is panasonic itself Anthony