Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

DMR-EZ48EB VHS/DVD Recorder (2008). When switching on, DVD

DMR-EZ48EB VHS/DVD Recorder (2008). When switching on, DVD tray opens and code 'LD FVU' is displayed. Online forum suggests downloading a firmware update from Panasonic website, decompressing, burning to CD and installing. No such fix available for this model (2008). Tried the DMR-EZ49EB download, but no good. Is there an alternative way to clear this fault?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 12 months ago.
Hello there,
Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.
Adam
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for the update, Adam. Yes, please keep trying, but if no luck by say Tuesday we'll have to give up and cancel.Best wishes
Philip
Thanks for getting back to me.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Adam
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Philip.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty control board (defective eeprom), though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This unit is at nearly double its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; though repairs just aren't feasible at this point. Parts are no longer available and labor costs alone would greatly exceed the value of the system.

Replacement would really be the only practical option at this point, though even that is problematic as vcr technology has been obsolete for many years now as well and is no longer manufactured, though there are some used and new-old stock models still available.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can try to help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for this, Nathan. I'll try the reset as soon as possible, although with grandchildren about to arrive for half-term it may be a day or two. (Set alarm for 4 am??) Will let you know the outcome.
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.

You're welcome, and best of luck to you!

Nathan

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The reset didn't work, unfortunately (tried twice). It's still saying 'LD FVU', which I gather means 'load firmware update', opening the DVD tray and saying 'INSERT DISK'. Load an ordinary DVD, or the update disk for DMR-EZ49 (downloaded and burned from Panasonic website), and it spits it out again with 'LD-FVU' then message 'NG DISK NO FVU'. This means to me that it is responding intelligently and looking for the correct update - which to me seems the more likely solution than a hardware fault, given that a) the machine has been used relatively little throughout its life,particularly for last 4 years - just sat under second TV on standby; b) haven't had any known surge or low voltage problems, and heavy current users such as kitchen appliances are on a different ring main; c) other people have previously solved the same problem on this and other Panasonic models with the firmware upgrade. No other fault code is shown. I've just found on ebay what is claimed to be an original Panasonic CD for this model specifically to deal with the LD-FVU problem - £4.99 +p&p, so hoping that will fix it.
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.

It is possible it is firmware related, the error can come up from corrupted firmware, and it defaults to prompting for an update/reload of the FW as a "safe mode" of sorts.

That is not the only possible cause though, it can be from faulty memory (where the firmware is stored) as well.

You can certainly try updating it, if you're able to get the files somewhere. I have not been able to find any for this model, as they were never made readily available by panasonic for this specific model. This model had known hardware issues which were addressed when it changed over to the next 49 model. It won't hurt to try, but if that update does not help, you'd be back to looking at a hardware issue, which can still happen regardless of actual usage levels, as internal components degrade with age even if not used frequently.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Philip?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not at the moment, thanks. I'm waiting for the firmware update CD to arrive - it has been dispatched. Then fingers crossed! Will let you know the outcome.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the update, and best of luck to you.

Nathan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
CD arrived, loaded, went through fine. Machine working on both drives. I'll see if I can rip it and send you a copy, but no time today.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

That is great news, I'm glad it is back up and running for you, and I would certainly appreciate a copy if you have the time.

Nathan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's 8.2MB so above maximum to attach by this means. If you can give me an email address I'll send it (if your system allows attachments that big), or a postal address to send a copy CD.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

We aren't permitted to give other means of contact info in this forum, but you could put it on wikisend or dropbox, if that works for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've uploaded ref 616150 PANA_DVD.FRM on to Wikisend (never heard of it before), but don't know how/whether you access it!
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

When you upload, it gives you a link, and then you can just post that here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
URL=http://wikisend.com/download/642924/PANA_DVD.FRM]PANA_DVD.FRM[/URL]Hope this works.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Sure did, thank you for the file. I think you may have helped me more than I helped you on this one, as that is a tough file to get. Even my contacts at panasonic haven't been able to get it for me in the past, so it is appreciated.

Nathan, Technician
Experience: Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.