Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

My Panasonic DVD Recorder Model DMR-EX773EB will not except

My Panasonic DVD Recorder Model DMR-EX773EB will not except commands from the hand set. I cannot get TV guide, menu Function or Direct Navigator to work. In the video window the timer light is lit up, I have a programme on series record. earlier I deleted a recording and later when I came to access the guide I could not and then found out I could also not access the function menu or navigator.
Hope you can help in this matter.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Will the unit respond to any of the onboard buttons (rather than remote) commands?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No not at all
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Channel onboard buttons will respond
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
are you still there. How could you connect to my device with it being a DVD
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for confirming, and my apologies, that is an automated ad, there is no real option for remote support.

Lets try a quick test of the factory remote. Take the tv remote into a dim/dark room, and look at the infrared emitter at the front edge of the remote, as viewed through the DISPLAY (not the viewfinder) of a digital camera. A cell phone cam, web cam, security camera, etc will also work. Each time you press a button on the remote, you should see the emitter at the front light up, flash, or glow slightly. If you do, then the remote is functional. If you do not, then the remote is bad and would need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I cannot see a light from the emitter but when I point the remote at the DVD a light flashes in the DVD window
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Were you using the DISPLAY of a camera? This is not visible to the naked eye.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I do not have a web cam and do not understand about the camera, I have a ordinary mobile
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I press navigator and NAV1 is displayed but will not go to the recorded programmes
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** to an internal firmware issue then, not a remote issue.

1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. When I plug it back in and carry out holding the power button for the required time then hopefully all should be back in order or do I need to carry out some other process.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

That is the hope, yes.

If not, we may need to attempt to update the firmware, but the failure of the reset typically indicates an internal hardware failure which will require repair/replacement.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have carried out the reset procedure however there is still no response from the remote. it will turn on and off but no guide, navigator or function menu.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for trying.

It does not look optimistic at this point.

Can you tell me everything you see on the display screen?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can see Nav 1, the timer clock in red
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
HDD
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Okay one last reset to try - starting with it powered on, just press and hold the power button 10+ seconds

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

If that doesn't help, you'll need to update the firmware manually,

with the process and update files available here: http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dvd/download/ex773/uk.html

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Power button held in for 10 secs which turned the video off, turned back on and still no response. So it would not be any advantage to secure connect
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

I cannot connect to the player.

I could connect to your computer to help you with getting the update files sorted if you need that though.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you but due to the lateness of the hour and work is calling in the morning then I think that I will have to look at replacement but I will try for another reset tomorrow. Thank you for you help
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have just tried holding the power button in again for 10 seconds and I now have all functions back
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the update, I'm glad to hear it is working again for you.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan

Nathan, Technician
Experience: Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.