Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

Iwant to buy a recordable dvd that records direct from tv to

iwant to buy a recordable dvd that records direct from tv to disc,not hard drive.at present i have a sony rdr-gx300 which is nit working.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you tell me how you're getting your tv stations currently (freeview, cable/satellite, freesat, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a sky box which is then connected to my Sony recorder which keeps on stopping when I am recording.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay thank you for confirming. That points to a failing write laser in most cases, which is not surprising to see on a 10 year old recorder model just from normal wear and tear.

Here is a replacement model I would recommend: http://amzn.to/1S7cv47 or http://amzn.to/1WOX1cU

Note that while they do both have hard drives, you can still record direct to dvd. You can also use the HDD to record freeview programming automatically, which expands your abilities to watch one programme on the sky box and record a free to air show at the same time.

Best regards,

Nathan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have keyed inwhat you said on google,but it says not found.what am i dooing wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
success,when i looked at the reviews for these dvds they said you could not record direct to dvd.please explain.many thanks.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

To some degree, that is correct. It does not burn to the disc in realtime. Any recordings you do go onto the hard drive first, and you can then transfer to dvd, but that transfer is very fast (a few minutes), so you really don't lose any time in the process.

For most people, this is preferable, because you can archive content onto the HDD and have a lot more space and flexibility, then if you actually need something on dvd for long term archival or to transfer to someone else, it is easily sent to disc. There are very few recorders on the market anymore at all, and those that are all have a hdd in them.

There are other options for dvdr only, but you'd be looking at a used model, as this technology is really being phased out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my original queustion was to find a dvd player that records direct to disc.please let me know if there are any.thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still waiting for a reply,what makes of new or second hand can go to disc direct.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, your last reply did not come through.

As I mentioned though, there truly is no longer an option for this.

Optical recorders are obsolete technology and have been phased out in favor of digital recorders.

There is not a single new current model direct dvd recorder being sold. There are still some available but they are old models and primarily only available used. Because of the low supply they are also very costly.

If you must have that, here is a model I'd suggest: http://amzn.to/28MJS1w

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
many thanks.