Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I recently bought a pack of Columbo DVD's but I just get

I recently bought a pack of Columbo DVD's but I just get 'Wrong Region' when I try to run
it.
Can u let me know a way around it please? (my Philips DVp2800 player does not have
any numbers on it).
Cavan *********
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  JamesInch replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, my name is ***** ***** will assist with your query today.
DVD's are tied to certain countries to stop copyright breach.

You should be able to turn off the region check on your DVD player by following the steps below.
1. Power ON the DVD player with no disc inside
2. Goto SETUP and go to Preferences
3. With Preferences highlighted, Press NEXT CHAPTER>|, PREVIOUS CHAPTER |<, NEXT CHAPTER>|,
PREVIOUS CHAPTER |<
4. The OSD will show the current Region Code
5. Press the Navigation Up or Navigation Down buttons to select 0 (region check disabled)
6. Press OK to confirm your region selection
7. Press Home to exit Preferences

Please let me know if you have any issues or needing anything clarified.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Most of what u suggested is NOT here (under 'Preferences').
Keep trying...
Cavan Adolphe B.Sc.
Expert:  JamesInch replied 1 year ago.

Hi just to clarify are you looking for NEXT CHAPTER>|, PREVIOUS CHAPTER |<, NEXT CHAPTER>| as options under preferences, as they are buttons on the remote you should be pressing on the remote, which in turn should display the Region Code on the preference menu?
If this doesnt show up after pressing the sequence it appears you have a later firmware version, which doesnt let you change the region code, at which point you will not be able to play non UK region DVD's on your player.

James

Expert:  JamesInch replied 1 year ago.

Cavan, just wondered if you need any further assistance, and would appreciate if you could rate the service received to date.

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The OSD will show the current Region Code'
This does NOT appear in the list of 'Preferences'.
Expert:  JamesInch replied 1 year ago.

Just to clarify, you have gone into the preferences menu.

Then pressed the series of buttons using the remote (NEXT CHAPTER>|, PREVIOUS CHAPTER |<, NEXT CHAPTER>|,
PREVIOUS CHAPTER |<)

However nothing happens (you dont get taken to another screen saying "region code"

Is this correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  JamesInch replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately your device doesnt support remote connectivity so I am unable to remotely connect to it. If you can advise what issue is I may still be able to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took a set of American DVD's, but found they would not work here in Ireland.
Please make them work here (Philips DVP 2800 player).
Cavan Adolphe B.Sc. ***@******.***
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The DVD set was American 'Columbo' with about 40 DVD's.
Cavan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  JamesInch replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately if you can not access the region mode on your DVD player you will be unable to watch American DVD's.

If you wish to watch them, you will need to use an alternative DVD player.

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please tell me the right DVD player that I should use & how should I use it?***@******.***
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thanks for your patience,
Adam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Adam - I WOULD like to wait for an answer. I have been trying for some time to get 'multi-regional' codes in order to make the player work properly - no luck (I usually get 'Not in Ireland').
Please help if you can!
Cavan.
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back to me.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Adam
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Honestly, there isn't anything you can do in this case. The problem here is that the player is designed for and locked to a specific region while you're attempting to play a disc from another region. These region codes were set up by the movie studios to help prevent piracy, and there is no easy way around them. While you may see some “hacks” online, they are not applicable to all models, as most do not have the ability to be overridden by a software adjustment, including yours.

This region coding protocol is physically built into the hardware (chips on the control board) of the player, and changing it would require physical modifications to the player (swapping out chips) that would void the warranty and often permanently damage the player.

Your best options are to re-purchase the discs you want to play in your country with the proper region code, or buy a purpose made region-free player that does not have this hardware restriction.

I'm sorry there isn't a more optimistic answer here, it's simply a design limitation of the player.

As an example of a region free player that would work for you: http://amzn.to/29gZrwZ

Best regards, ***** ***** for the answer,

Nathan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Nathan. I have ordered ' http://amzn.to/29gZrwZ'. It will have what I wanted.
Unfortunately I will now have a Philips player €35 & this multi region player, which means that I now have over €60 worth of players!
Pity we cannot punish the Universal people who sent me the USA region one!
Cavan.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Well you could always try to return the discs you bought and purchase new ones elsewhere, but you'll have some benefit to the multiregion player in giving you flexibility to purchase other discs of your choosing in the future without worrying about the format.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan

Nathan, Technician
Experience: Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.