Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Karaoke Systems Manager, signal specialist, all recorders and players expert
63817454

I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder model number DMR - EZ47VEB

It works correctly 98% of the time but every now & then the letters TP appear in the display window of the unit.When I play the tape back I have sound but no picture & I usually have to reset the stations on TV then Video Recorder am I doing correct ?? or is it dirty heads in the recorder.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Pull the problem tape out, and look at the side that comes out facing you. Is there a little square or rectangle hole that you can see?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I retrieve the tape from the machine the facing edge shows a plastic tab intact,all my tapes have this plastic tab intact
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.

Ok, and do you see anything else in the display? That is not a typical error code, but some of the codes are abbreviated.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No the only two letters that show in the display unit of the recorder are TP when this happens.I have already looked in the instructions section of the manual and their is nothing to cover the letters TP.
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.

Yes, this is strange. Does it force you to reprogram the channels, or is that just something you did as a precaution?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it forces me to reprogram the stations on the TV & recorder.Then the tape works as normal,same thimg happens to the bought tapes.
Could it be old tapes that have been used over the years for recording,and my thoughts that TP stands for Tape Play what do you think
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.

It really seems like there is an IC that is going out, and it will soon be useless. You may want to consider looking at buying another machine, or contacting Panasonic for repair. The tape playing has nothing to do with the channel scan, so it's something that controls both, which would be the motherboard. That's not a good sign.

I want you to call Panasonic and see if they can fix it for you, or offer you a new unit at a discounted rate. 0344(###) ###-####/p>

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am coming to that way of thinking probably will buy a new recorder this recorder I have had for 7 years.A newer one will be a updated model. The DVD side of the recorder works alright no TP displayed.
Thankyou for all the help you gave me sorry to have been a pain.I might contact Panasonic first before buying.
Once again thankyou
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but 7 years these days is quite a long time for a recorder to be fully functional. If you like Panasonic, there is nothing wrong with that brand. Another favorite of mine is the Toshiba DVR620KU. It's a solid machine.

You're not a pain at all! That's what I'm here for, you've been more than pleasant. If you could rate my service with you today, I will receive credit for working with you.

Rusty, Engineer
Experience: Karaoke Systems Manager, signal specialist, all recorders and players expert
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thankyou for the info on the Toshiba DVR620KU model I will look into that model aswell.
I have given you the 5 star Excellent it is a pity I could not give you a star with MAGNIFICO on it because you are worth it.Yours Faithfully Alan