Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

Cannot play a NTSC REGION 1 dvd disc on all regions setting

Customer Question

Cannot play a NTSC REGION 1 dvd disc on all regions setting (8). I get a message saying "This DVD may not play in your region" A friend of mine living 5 mile from me can play this DVD on his system which isn't Panasonic. My Panasonic DVD recorder has a model number DMR-EX83EB whch was purchased on 17.02.2012.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, George.

Honestly, there isn't anything you can do in this case. The problem here is that the player is designed for and locked to a specific region while you're attempting to play a disc from another region. These region codes were set up by the movie studios to help prevent piracy, and there is no easy way around them. While you may see some “hacks” online, they are not applicable to all models, as most do not have the ability to be overridden by a software adjustment, including yours. DVD recorder units are virtually never able to be multiregion.

This region coding protocol is physically built into the hardware (chips on the control board) of the player, and changing it would require physical modifications to the player (swapping out chips) that would void the warranty and often permanently damage the player.

Your best options are to re-purchase the discs you want to play in your country with the proper region code, or buy a purpose made region-free player that does not have this hardware restriction.

I'm sorry there isn't a more optimistic answer here, it's simply a design limitation of the player.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the answer,

Nathan

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, George?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. It is what I thought it might be. A friend of mine bought a cheap Phillips Recorder on which he can play the DVD in question. Thanks for your trouble.Regards***** *****
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome, George.