Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Karaoke Systems Manager, signal specialist, all recorders and players expert
63817454

Panasonic-dmr-ez49VBK Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide

panasonic-dmr-ez49VBK
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: Can I record on this from a Virgin (optical cable) box? The manual refers only to digital satellite receivers>
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

The trick is, whenever the manual says digital satellite receiver, change that to cable box. There are identical connections on a satellite box and a cable box.

Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

If you need more help, let me know. If you're satisfied with my service, please let me know, or rate 5 stars.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's fine; I just needed to know that I could safely buy one. Since I am entitled to more assistance, I might as well tell you my real problem, and possibly save buying a new item.
My current Panasonic (DMR-EZ49V) has ground to a complete halt with a DVD jammed in the drive, in the middle of a VHS to DVD copying operation; the error message U88 is showing. No amount of gentle fiddling with the DVD drive will free it; nor will switching on and off repeatedly at the mains, though the unit does try to get going. Do you know any fix for this?
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Do you hear a noise when you press eject?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

U88 indicates a protect mode, and if it stays on, it usually means a terminal error has occurred, especially since you say it happened during recording. You can save the DVD by removing the cover of the DVD player. The only other last ditch effort to save it is to unplug it, and hold the power button on the front of the unit for about 30 seconds to drain residual power. If the error is still there, the processor is stuck, and it's an expensive repair.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks very much. I'll try your suggestion but won't bother to come back even if it works (you don't sound very hopeful). Clearly a new one is needed (if there are any left anywhere!)
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

I'm not very hopeful of a U88 error being shown. It's made to go into recovery mode, and eventually the error clears. But since it's stuck on, that's a big problem. I'm sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news, but a new recorder is cheaper than a U88 repair in most cases.

New machines have updated software, and are built to work with other modern equipment. Sometimes it's just time for a new machine.

Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

When we are finished, please don't forget to rate my service with you today

with 3-5 stars. Rating does not close the question, and you can

communicate with me at no extra charge.