info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Technician for many high street outlets 20 years plus experience
18621325

DMR-EX768EB - years old no probs. Suddenly message EXT-L.

DMR-EX768EB - years old no probs. Suddenly message EXT-L. Can play back recordings but cannot operate anything else - no function menu, no Guide plus.Is it just worn out?
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: not really - the problem is simply as stated. I have not altered any settings for the TV, and I can't do anything with the Recorder as it won't switch on to anything except plyaback of recorded progs. I have tried connecting another TV, but makes no difference, so I don't think it's the TV at fault. Have been using a Sony Bravia ever since I bought the Recorder.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  info tech replied 10 months ago.

Welcome

As the beginning of a procedure please un-plug the unit from wall-power wait 5 mins then re-plug back in again, let me know if there is any change thank you

Anthony

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't do this now as I have to dismantle a casing unit which I won't be able to do until either tomorrow evening or Wednesday, sorry. Is there any way I can get back to you then? I did unplug it earlier when I dismantled the unit, but that didn't make any difference!

OK you just come right back here bookmark this page there is no quick fix we have to follow procedures of checks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that's fine, I'll get back to you.
Best,

Yes no probs

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, sorry for delay.
Have unplugged 5 mins and reconnected but still same message on display: EXT--L.
The only facility I can get is Navigator, which is Playback of recorded programs. Any attempt to switch to Guide or Function Menu just switches it off again.At all times (on or off), the message ETL- still appears small in red at top of display over the time display.

The firmware is bad, there was a release in 2015 here>>

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dvd/download/ex769/uk.html <<click

Please follow the guide carefully, if you do have the same version has this then it won't take so please come back here.

Please at this point would you rate the answer positively with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page, rating me positively enables me to receive payment from the site thank you, ***** ***** question is open for 30 days

Many Thanks

Anthony

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Anthony,
Well I can't even get started with the procedure as I can't switch on the Function Menu, as I said before. Do you reckon it's unfixable? I suspect that most people are now switching to catch-up TV rather than recording so maybe I am flogging a dead horse. By the way I will still give you a positive rating as I don't expect you to work miracles!

Yes I understand, the firmware is corrupt that is why its locked up, maybe you could still make the disc anyhow without going right through the procedure?this wont cost anything to do and yes its become dated technology now with other formats like flash drives etc and hard drives DVRs so its not worth an engineer getting involved.

Let me know if you need more help

Thanks for understanding

Anthony

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your help, Anthony.

Your very Welcome

Thank You for the rating ,have a great afternoon

Anthony