JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

Hiya i have a toshiba hd recorder which i`ve had for about 3

Customer Question

hiya i have a toshiba hd recorder which i`ve had for about 3 years problem is the blue light does not come on anymore & recorder not working been on internet says could be hard drive problem model number is ***** 9163 PB01 00 serial number is ***** Hope you can help
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your query today.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As previously stated Toshiba hd recorder not working possible hard drive problem need advice on how to fix & cost????
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

If its a hardware issue you can go out and buy replacement hard disks, please give me a short while to lookup your HDR spec

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Looking at the fault you have where your not getting the blue light on at all, I think its unlikely to be a hard disk fault.

Does it show any sign of life at all, can you connect to it from your TV?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's been connected to TV but only a orange light comes on no channels on tv
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

With this model it should still let you connect to it from the TV even with a hard disk fault, from what your describing it sounds more like a main board or power supply failure to me.

These type of fault really require to go into a service centre where the unit can be stripped, as you could end up buying power boards and hard disk components just through educating guessing rather than troubleshooting and testings.

If you provide me with your post code I can look up a list of our recommended engineers in your area.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
WV13 1SW
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

TV Links is your nearest approved engineer, unfortunately they are closed over the weekend.

If you can wait until Monday morning I can call them and check when they can fit you in, and make sure they can still get parts for your model.

However should you wish to contact them directly you can do so on 01902 229695

I aim to come back to you by 11am Monday.

James

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanx could you get price on parts & total cost before booking please
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

I can ask, they would normally charge a small inspection fee then list the cost, since it be something as simple as a lose ribbon cable, or a new control board.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I'll wait to hear from you Monday I work til 6 so won't be able to get in touch til after
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

No problem, enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I have phoned TV Links (01902 229695), they have advised that the parts are becoming difficult to get hold of, but offered to give a no obligation quote for free, and then its up to you if you wish to have it repaired.

My best guess is that your looking at a new main board, and the cost of repair to be around £130, however it is certainly worth taking it in, as it could simply be a lose cable on the main board.

Their store is within a couple of miles of your postcode - 22 Furzebank Way, Willenhall, WV12 4BG

James

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi James I too phoned tv link & got a completely different response so after work yesterday I looked for Toshiba helpline number which I found & have managed to sort it @ least knowing that parts are available @ the place I take it to sorry if you think you wasted your time but @ the end of the day I've sorted it so I will be asking just ask for refund