Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

We have recently bought a DMR-EX97, which we like very much,

We have recently bought a DMR-EX97, which we like very much, but there is one
problem. We cannot adjust the TV screen to play 4:3 transmissions (e.g. for "Dad's Army")
or DVDs (we have some we have some old recorded programmes).We've tried using the control on the TV, but this says "Feature not available".Prior to this we had a Panasonic VHS/DVD player & Freeview Tuner, but this was connected to the TV via a SCART cable. The new one uses an HMDI connection. Is this the reason we cannot change the aspect ratio, or have we just not found the correct means of adjustment?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi David,

What is the make and model number of your TV?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sony Bravia KDL2654000
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** you have the original Sony remote available for it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Ok, on the Sony remote, in the top left corner just below the info 'i' button, there should be a button to change the picture aspect - can you try pressing it several times until you get the best size picture?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We've tried this but when we press the button a message comes up on the screen which says
"feature not available".
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not clear if you've received my last message about "feature not available" coming up on screen when we press
the button on the TV remote. Any further thoughts?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Yes received and working on.

Sorry for the delay.

I cannot replicate the error on 2 Sony TVs here.

Checking further....

Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Ok, the feature is not available because the video signal from the Panasonic DMR-EX97 does not allow it.

So you will have to change the picture size on the DMR-EX97 itself.

Using the DMR-EX97 remote, press the SETUP button and select Connection. Here, you can change the "Aspect for 4:3 video".

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page to finish; tips appreciated :)
Or you can type your rating on your question page if you have any difficulty with the rating system.
You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, we've tried that too. With a DVD running, if we select 4:3 in the Connections box and press OK it comes up with a screen offering a choice of 4:3 or 16:9 with 4:3 highlighted. Pressing OK again just brings back the previous screen & you can then merrrily toggle between the two! Pressing "return" takes you back into TV output (not DVD for some reason), with the screen still on full frame.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Have you tried adjusting the other aspect settings under Connection?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Counter-intuitively it seems you have to click on the choice of 16:9 in order to get a 4:3 image (and to be fair the Panasonic instructions, when you read them for the 3rd or 4th time, do imply this). So we now have success for our old videos!
Whether this will work on a 4:3 transmission (e.g. "Dad's Army") remains to be seen. But the more important problem has been solved. Thank you.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Glad to hear it worked!

Have a great day :)
Pete.