Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

Panasonic DMR-95V video/DVD is completely dead! Checked

Hi, Panasonic DMR-95V video/DVD is completely dead! Checked fuse, changed mains lead, opened top and checked fuse by mains inlet. Any common faults and is it worth repairing. Was perfect before, little used. Thanks, Graham
Assistant: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Panasonic DMR-95V, maybe ten years old
Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Found out tonight Nothing happened. Just dead when I tried to use it
Assistant: Anything else you want the video expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty control board (integrated circuitry), though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This unit is at about 3 times its service life at this point.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; though repairs for these units just isn't feasible. There are no parts available for them any longer and labor alone would be 2-3 times the cost of a new system.
I can help you with finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.
My apologies for the news,

Nathan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. Will try this.

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you!