Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

hi i got divorced last november but at the time we never finalised

Customer Question

hi
i got divorced last november but at the time we never finalised what was happening with the matrimonial home, we are both on a joint mortgage but my ex partner lives in the house, i have asked him to obtain the mortgage on his own but he is not eligable with the bank to do so, i do not wish to remain on the mortgage, what are my options as he is refusing to sell the house
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 4 years ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

You are right to get your name, and the associated responsibility and liability, off of this legal document. It does you no good and only puts you at risk.

I suggest that you return to the solicitor who managed your divorce and ask him or her to resolve this. If your ex cannot buy out your share then you can force a sale.

If you don't then you will be liable for payments, lawsuits, and the effects this will have on your credit rating

Warm regards,

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC