Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I am an Indian now 28 living in UK , I met my GF now 27,in

Customer Question

I am an Indian now 28 living in UK , I met my GF now 27,in UK,who hails from Italy 3 yrs ago, as she is a student we had a long distance relationship for almost 1.5 years and we lived in togather for almost 1.5 year on and off as she had to return for her classes and exams. We were madly in love with each other and almost getting engaged but I was not ready neither she forced it, was mutual. Later, she developed a feeling of detachment with her and the English culture plus my culture which I understand. Now she is in Italy and doesnt wants to come back yet.She says she doesn't nurture the same feeling as it was in the beginning for me. She loves her family and life life back home (Italy). Moreover she wants to tk a break with an option of open to communicate when needed. She has never been alone since the age of 15 yrs and unfortunately I spotted this problem and suggested her that the confusion in the relationship is the absence of single experience and her needs in life. I think she took it very seriously. She is not a very confident person she lacks emotional confidence yet I feel she will be back. She holds a lot of insecurities about her career and life here which again I understand but is it too much of an xcuse to break up?maybe she is not strong enough to confess. She says me a thousand times she is upset with herself and needs to get know herself being on her own. To be clear with her mind. She also deactivated her FB account to feel the sense of freedom from social obligations while I see it this way that she doesnt wants to see our pictures togather or change her relationship status. She says stupid FB is not goin to affect her real lyf so it should never be brought to my concern.

My very close friend went through a similar situation and he convinced me this is the beginning of your break-up. I feel people have opinion but dont wanna rush to a decision based on his experience.

Shall I wait for her? Do we have any future? Do girls take a break and still expect their BF to be faithful? What shall I do, I love her to death but I dont want to force it on to her.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I have read through your letter and then re-read it to make sure that I understood all of the details and nuances that you presented.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The situation is not very hopeful to you. This woman is inexperienced, and very connected to her own culture which is very different than yours or to the UK culture.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

She has broken from you and is trying hard not to fall back into a relationship with you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If she did she would probably try to break it again. If she is unhappy in the UK then that in itself is too much pressure on her. She does not want to be separated from her family and is trying hard not to renew this relationship.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Her heart will never be in it fully, and you will not reach full happiness in this relationship.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

As difficult as it seems, I suggest that you let this relationship go.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Things may change but it is highly doubtful. Any change will come from her and it seems that she has already made up her mind.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Try to look to the future without her.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC