Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Can someone give me an example of how someones values and beliefs

Customer Question

Can someone give me an example of how someones values and beliefs can affect the helping of a relationship?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 3 years ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you please clarify what you mean by saying "the helping of a relationship"?

Customer:

I mean by how could a counsellors values and beliefs have an affect on a relationship with a client? (helping them)

Customer:

an example if possible please

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see, thanks.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Let's say a professional is very Catholic and was raised by a very rigid minded family, feels very confident about how right his personal belief and value systems, and worldviews are, meets a female client who presents HOCD, has had different parterns and feel very depressed.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This professional, if not truly being a good professional, could easily judge and push the client towards making things in a way that appear right to him, while dismissing the client's personal reality, core needs an expectations.

Customer:

brilliant :) So if a counsellor believed how homosexuals should not adopt children how could that come affect ?

Customer:

*to

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The belief around how sinful and wrong it is for the client to have had sex without being married, to have had different partners, and now presenting this obsession about being lesbian, which could not be taken as that, as an anxiety disorder but more as a sexual perversion by this unethical therapist because of his personal bias.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The counsellor would then judge the client, trying to make her feel wrong, not validating her feelings, own values and needs, then good rapport could never happen, no empathy would exist, and if the counsellor has social skills, could easily codependently try to manipulate very much the client, for her to follow his suggestions, presenting a very poor scenario for potential children living under such circumstances.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Most clients would get traumatized by such therapist, since hsi actions would be very disrespectful and abusive, non-therapeutic at all, but fueling further anxiety, fears, biases, alienation and lack of mental health for sure.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Clients with strong personality could react very negatively in open ways, while those more shy, introverted or with low self-esteem could suffer more the manipulation. Either way, the therapeutic relationship would not be therapeutic, nor respectful, truly helpful at all, whether the client realizes it or not.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Does it make sense?

Customer:

Yes it does thank you very much Rafael, so if someone believed that homosexuals could not adopt children is it still possible for them to put their beliefs to the side when at work and would it be proffesional for them to deny this belief if asked by the clients?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

They could try but technically, ethically, if they do not have a very goo level of maturity and assertiveness, respect and competence as professionals, differentiating between their worldviews and therapy, they it would not be acceptable for them to take a client like that, since they would not be objective and do more damage than good to that client.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

No, it won't be acceptable nor ethical for them to lie to the client. Dishonesty , even more about core area like this is totally unacceptable and anti therapeutic.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

A key requirement for good counseling is the ability to be real, truly present and honest; a counsellor without such ability would not be a good counsellor.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The same as the ability to be objective and respectful of other people's worldviews. The professional must have cultural competence, otherwise should not see other clients but those exclusively matching theer personal and professional biases and worldviews, which would be very limited for sure, but the only way to protect clients.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I hope it helps.

Customer:

Thank you for that Rafael, you have helped me a lot!