Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I would like to speak to someone who is a marriage counsellor

Customer Question

I would like to speak to someone who is a marriage counsellor to find out what exact steps I need to take to become one without taking the degree route and also how I can get a marriage counsellor to mentor me along the way of becoming one so he/she can give me hints and tips along the way
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you with this question.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Getting a degree and a license is the best way to ensure that you have actual clients and that you can legally advertise as a professional. You cannot claim to be a marriage and family therapist or marriage counselor, or avertise as one unless you go through the legal channels.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You could call yourself a non-diploma family advisor, or spiritual marriage advisor, but this would also make it difficult to get clients to help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

As part of my practice I counsel couples and have taught Marriage and Family Systems at graduate school level, and so I am well-versed in understanding what it takes.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There is a great deal to be learned, and that is why it is a graduate course leading to a master's degree. In the US it takes 60 graduate hours beyond a bachelors degree, plus an internship, and it is similar in the UK.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is doubtful that a UK therapist will take you on as a mentor because they subscribe to a very professional ethic that would not allow that.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you would like to read some interesting material about marriage counsellors in the UK, go to:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://www.therapytribe.com/therapy/Marriage_Counseling_Family_Couples.html

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

On other parts of this site are UK marriage counselors listed and perhaps you could find some face-to-face assistance from one in your area.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You probably have a gift for helping people and this is why you desire to jump into this field. As a gifted counselor, you will probably do very well.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I once had the same notion as you, always having had the gift of helping others. I thought that I could do the same thing until, after much investigation, I realised that it would take going the degree route to be legitimate and successful.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

During that time I began to do what I liked and after about 5 years (past my bachelors) I got my own independent license (although it took only 2 years to get an associate license an get a job in the field).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I recommend that you investigate the degree route and you might decide that you can not only do it, but enjoy the process.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep you in my prayers for success.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, CCMHC, NCC

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Elliot I have so much respect for answering that question so detailed. I am actually trying to take the diploma route at the moment which has its pros and cons. Whilst doing that I would want to volunteer to help with a marriage/family organisation so by the time ive completed the diploma i will have all the relevant experience to go straight into employment. I will have a look at this site and I will have you in my prayers also aswell. If you do hear of anything else please let me know aswell, thank you.