Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I would like to speak to someone who is a marriage counsellor

Customer Question

I would like to speak to someone who is a marriage counsellor to find out what exact steps I need to take to become one without taking the degree route and also how I can get a marriage counsellor to mentor me along the way of becoming one so he/she can give me hints and tips along the way
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you with this question.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Getting a degree and a license is the best way to ensure that you have actual clients and that you can legally advertise as a professional. You cannot claim to be a marriage and family therapist or marriage counselor, or avertise as one unless you go through the legal channels.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You could call yourself a non-diploma family advisor, or spiritual marriage advisor, but this would also make it difficult to get clients to help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

As part of my practice I counsel couples and have taught Marriage and Family Systems at graduate school level, and so I am well-versed in understanding what it takes.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There is a great deal to be learned, and that is why it is a graduate course leading to a master's degree. In the US it takes 60 graduate hours beyond a bachelors degree, plus an internship, and it is similar in the UK.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is doubtful that a UK therapist will take you on as a mentor because they subscribe to a very professional ethic that would not allow that.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you would like to read some interesting material about marriage counsellors in the UK, go to:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://www.therapytribe.com/therapy/Marriage_Counseling_Family_Couples.html

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

On other parts of this site are UK marriage counselors listed and perhaps you could find some face-to-face assistance from one in your area.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You probably have a gift for helping people and this is why you desire to jump into this field. As a gifted counselor, you will probably do very well.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I once had the same notion as you, always having had the gift of helping others. I thought that I could do the same thing until, after much investigation, I realised that it would take going the degree route to be legitimate and successful.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

During that time I began to do what I liked and after about 5 years (past my bachelors) I got my own independent license (although it took only 2 years to get an associate license an get a job in the field).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I recommend that you investigate the degree route and you might decide that you can not only do it, but enjoy the process.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep you in my prayers for success.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, CCMHC, NCC

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Elliot I have so much respect for answering that question so detailed. I am actually trying to take the diploma route at the moment which has its pros and cons. Whilst doing that I would want to volunteer to help with a marriage/family organisation so by the time ive completed the diploma i will have all the relevant experience to go straight into employment. I will have a look at this site and I will have you in my prayers also aswell. If you do hear of anything else please let me know aswell, thank you.

Dear Daniel,

Thank you so much for your kind words and generosity. A generous spirit will make you the best therapist.

There is one book that I recommend to clients because it is the best and most insightful marriage book by the most renowned expert, John Gottman. You might not get it as a textbook, but it is worth having and reading now. He is so clear and so helpful.

The Seven Principles For Making Marriage Work by John Gottman

May God continue to bless you. Amen.

Elliott