JohnMichaels,MS,LPC
JohnMichaels,MS,LPC, Counselor (LPC)
Experience:  25+ years helping resolve relational issues.
68372260

Hello, I recently met a man 15 years older than me. Everything

Customer Question

Hello, I recently met a man 15 years older than me. Everything was going well, he wined and dined me and became quite intimate. When it came down to actually having sex this man who is 58 could not maintain an erection. He has indicated that this can be a problem for him. The next time we met he asked if we could slow things right down and I agreed and have tried to be supportive but since this incident this man has pulled away from me. I have even discovered that he has been calling other women (his own age) and he has now told me that I am not really his type and that we should just be friends. He has even told me that he has now joined a dating agency to meet someone more like himself i.e. his own age who has there own business like he does. This man does not even have the internet so I doubt he has really joined a dating agency and I am not convinced that he has gone off me apparently overnight. I am at a complete loss as to what went wrong and how to fix it. I really like this man. He has indicated that we should meet up in 2 - 3 weeks time just as friends but then if its over why bother. Also, I have recently come out of a marriage and my husband did challenge this man about me which could of scared him off. What should I do? This man has lived alone for 5 years and seems to have gone from one relationship to the next. He wont hoever invite people back to his home which is another thing I find odd.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  JohnMichaels,MS,LPC replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a Licensed Professional Counselor. Please note, this is not therapy, but information. I do hope I can help you though. It sounds to me that maybe his pride is hurt due to his inability to "perform" sexually. Then Again, this may have been a recurring problem and his initial interest in you was to see if a younger woman could help him overcome it. No doubt he needs to see a doctor. There are medications for this. My thoughts are you tell him you are not interested in a friendship arrangement. You care about him and are willing to be patient concerning the intimacy. You may be the first girl to offer to hang with him like this. If he does not accept though, respect his wishes and move on. It might hurt a little at first, but someone willing to commit is out there for you. I hope this is a help to you. If you have any questions, please feel free to continue the discussion. I do want to be a help.
Hi! I appreciate you allowing me to help you maybe arrive at a solution the other day. I hope I was helpful. Let me know if I can help you in any other way.

John Michaels, MS, LPC