TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Certified Professional Coach
64783947

Last year, I had a big argument with my best friend (call him

Customer Question

Last year, I had a big argument with my best friend (call him A) whom I considered to be my brother which ended with us fighting and breaking up as friends. For eight months, we had no contact with one another. For the first few months after the fight, I felt lonely for I lost A and felt extremely miserable because of what happened. 'A' is gone, and is no longer part of my personal life.

Six months ago, a friend of mine, call him B, introduced me to a friend of his, call him C. I connected with 'C' straight away. Indeed, from the day we met and up until today, I have seen C daily - literally, daily - though he goes to a different university than mine, lives in a different area, studies something different than that I do. 'B' and 'C' have known each other for at least five years, and have been quite close with one another. 'B' is also an old friend of mine (friend only) while 'C' is the friend that 'B' introduced me to. 'C' and I have spent all of the days in the past six months as great friends. Today, I consider 'C' to be my best friend. A couple of days back, C told me that he is willing to loose B because of something small and that simple talk with C shocked me personally for C has known B for a long time and is now willing to fight with B. This simple talk with C about B reminded me of my friendship with A. If C is now thinking about fighting with B, the guy he's known for years, because of something not big, will he one day think of 'unfriending' me because of something small?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 3 years ago.

Hi and welcome. I'm a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of that freindship with A and it seems like you have moved on and healed from it and found a nice new friend. I understand your conern about B and C having an issue and C possibly ending a relationship with B over what seems small. Bear in mind that what may feel small to you may not in fact feel small to either of them. Does that mean it could happen with you and C? Maybe but that is always a possiblity with any friendship...that there could be a falling out. But you do have the ability to keep communication open between your friendships.

You may also help C to find a way to repair what feels difficult rather than end a friendship but in the end it is between them. I would try as best you can to live your life with your friendships and leave the worry about what will be out of the equation.
Get out there and continue to enjoy your time together and always communicate open and honestly so that things can be repaired rather than a tough ending.