Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist
15718554

Hi Been with my boyfriend for about a year, we get on very

Customer Question

Been with my boyfriend for about a year, we get on very well most of the time, but he is seeing his ex often and saying that they are just friends nothing more.
I never see his phone around. he is saying that he is very lucky i am his girlfriend and he loves me very much, but I feel uncofortable about him seeing her and if that relationship is over why would he? Please help.D
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 3 years ago.
Hello. You certainly have every right to be upset about this. He needs to respect your wishes if you do not want him to see her. If they are seeing each other every now and then because you all live close and it's hard to avoid, etc... that's one thing, but to make an effort to see her, the card exchange, etc.. is a big concern.
You need to explain to him how much this bothers you and it isn't about insecurity or jealously but about respect. Perhaps you can reach some sort of compromise with him as far as what you are an are not comfortable with. There is no reason that 2 ex partners need to be spending time together and if it makes you uncomfortable, then it does and he needs to respect that.
You may get to the point where you have to give him the her or me ultimatum which isn't a great conclusion, but if you are explaining your side and he is still not interested in appeasing your needs and respecting you and the relationship, then there is a problem there. Trust your instincts on this.