therapist325
therapist325, Counselor
Experience:  Licensed Professional counselor with specialized training in relationships.
66557191

I suffer with anxiety when I go to meet my girlfriend or when

Customer Question

I suffer with anxiety when I go to meet my girlfriend or when she wants to meet me I'm scared I'm gonna loose her
Category: Relationship
Expert:  therapist325 replied 3 years ago.
therapist325 :

Hello-hoping I can help a little with what you are dealing with. Hope you don't mind, but I have a few questions for you. I am asking them to better help you. How long have you been with your girlfriend? What behaviors do you have when you are anxious (example: do you not meet up with her because your anxiety gets too high, have panic attacks, not able to talk or do certain things with her)? Have you told her that you have anxiety? What is her current reaction to all of this? Sorry for so many questions, feel free to answer what you are comfortable with. Just want to be able to give you the best help I can!

Customer: We have been talking online and the phone for a few months now but when I go to meet her I get really bad panic attacks
I'm sure that has to be frustrating! Panic attacks are not fun especially when you are trying to build a relationship with someone! The best thing to do when you have a panic attack is identify (if possible) where the attack is coming from. Do you know what you are most anxious about when you meet her? If you can identify that, you could work on how to reduce the anxiety and be more comfortable. Have you ever tried some relaxation things before you go to see her or find something to keep your mind busy. With panic attacks you have to deal with mind and body to calm down because both are at play in the attacks. Have you ever found anything that calms you down when you are in an attack?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's the problem I try to calm my self down she thinks it's gonna effect us all the time but I explain it's not
Would beta blockers help?