Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology helping with relationships
50444359

I have now ended my relationship with my abusive boyfriend,

I have now ended my relationship with my abusive boyfriend, and he is now leaving my flat for good. I was seeing another guy, but now I don't want a relationship with him anymore, as I don't see us as compatible. But I have started dating a new guy, who is totally different to both my exes. He works very hard, and I am looking for someone who is supportive. Is this too soon to start a new relationship?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.

Hi! I'll be glad to help you with this issue.

I can imagine how confusing this situation must be for you. You were involved with a man who was abusive. You had the strength within to leave that relationship. That is a very important point here and I want you to recognize it as such:

You had the strength within yourself to leave. That tells me a lot.

You then met someone else and you made the decision that you two are incompatible. This is also encouraging. Why?

Because you are not saying that this man is also abusive. That means that you have not repeated a pattern. And you have made judgments about the relationships yourself. This is encouraging as well.

Therefore, I would recommend that you allow yourself to follow the confident part of who you are that is looking for a new relationship. I think that is encouraging. You are learning to form judgments and to not fall into patterns that are unhealthy in relationships. This is promising. So, again, allow yourself to follow your confident self.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me. If the answer has been helpful, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button so that I am credited for the answer. Bonuses are always appreciated! If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I'm checking in to see if the reply was helpful or if you need more follow up. I would be very interested in hearing back from you on whether you thought my response was helpful or if we need to continue with further discussion. My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons.

Thanks,

Dr. Mark