How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norman Brown Your Own Question
Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown, Marriage Therapist
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 1200
Experience:  Family Therapist & teacher 35+ yrs; PhD research in couples
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
Dr. Norman Brown is online now

I have been married to my second husband for 16 years, after

Resolved Question:

I have been married to my second husband for 16 years, after a very short relationship. he moved into my family home, with no financial input, other than an housekeeping amount monthly 0f £600. The next two houses were always in my name alone, as are all the bills, which he never shows interest in. Over the last few years, our relationship has been purely amicable, he now pays me £500, as he says his pension is too small, he receives a state pension, and two private pensions. We never go out socially or on holiday. I have recently discovered conversations he has by text and FB messages, with two women, one he used to work with. These are always affectionate, 'miss you more', 'love you', etc. Plus, he's very rude about me, 'you wouldn't want to meet that cow', 'madam's gone to London, hope she stays there'. I have photos of all of these. I have not tackled him yet, and feel we are now at the end of our relationship. How do I stand regarding any claim he may have on my assets?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 2 years ago.
You need to ask this question to a solicitor who's trained in common law marriage issues. You've certainly been used for long enough. I'm not going to offer a moral or psychological opinion when only legal precedents will matter. I imagine he would have to show that he has consistently provided essential services that over and above his financial contribution to substantiate any claim to your assets. But that's not a legal opinion. So I don't think you should pay me or anyone else except an expert in British conjugal law.
Dr. Norman Brown and other Relationship Specialists are ready to help you

Related Relationship Questions