TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Certified Professional Coach
64783947

I really don't know what to do with this situation I've

I really don't know what to do with this situation
I've dated a single mum for over 3 months but it went south a few weeks ago and she said that due to a previous relationship (it sounded abusive) she felt that she can't have any romantic feelings about anyone for a while and didn't want to string me along
Admittedly I was gutted about this but she said that she really wanted to continue doing what we were doing without the romantic stuff involved
At first I said that I couldn't and didn't speak to her for a week, then to my luck I accidentally ring her. She ring back asking what was up and I panicked and said without thinking that itd be nice to hang out as friends...
The problem is that I really do care about this girl and I want her to be happy, but I'm worried I put myself in a situation that I've been friend zoned as a result. Do you think it's a good idea to continue the friendship and see where it goes or should I find a way to stop contact as I still have strong feelings about her.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like she needs time to heal from her previous relationship, but it also sounds like she feels something for you. I don't think the friend zone right now is a terrible thing...be the gentleman that you are, get together with her and let things play out and develop to see if there is potential. No pressure, just fun and friendship and she just might see how connected she is to you.
We spoke before about her and I do believe she needs some time. Hang around with her and let it play out. Again, she may realize that it is her fear keeping from fully connecting to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jen, I don't think you realise how reassuring you are haha, I spoke with someone about this and I believe it's for the best at this given in in time, thank you so much :)
I am so glad to be reassuring for you. Always come to me for support. I think you are doing great, so let it all play out how it is meant to. Let me know how else I can support. If nothing more now, you know the drill and please offer a rating. If you want to reach me again, out for Therapist Jen only at the start of your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you I hope you've had a good Christmas :)
Thank you and to you as well.