Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown, Marriage Therapist
Experience:  Family Therapist & teacher 35+ yrs; PhD research in couples
55153673

I have been in a relationship 5 years and recently ended it (last week). I love

I have been in a relationship for nearly 5 years and recently ended it (last week). I love the person very much but a number if things have changed since we have been together. When we first met we both agreed that we wanted to get married again and whilst we discussed moving in together we felt it was too soon. We are both divorced and our children live with us. We split up 2 years ago because I thought we should be progressing further and he said that it's not something he wanted or at least couldn't put timescales on. I feel that any desire to progress has been diluted over the time together and he know has a very comfortable routine where he balances every aspect of his life. He sees me every other night and we spend every other weekend together. In the main it works but I feel I want more if a partnership. We do nice things but I want to live together, get married etc and he doesn't. It got to the point last week where I blew up and said I couldn't carry on feeling dissatisfied
Category: Relationship
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 1 year ago.
I wonder what the ages and genders of your children and his children are, and what's going on (or not) with your exhusband and his exwife. And further, any significant financial issues that would tip one way or another if you moved in togetherJust to get some background to estimate psychological forces impinging on your attitudes. On the surface it seems to be an immovable impasse. There can be no progression in either of your lives without significant losses, and the departure of teenage children for starting their own lives with higher education or shifting custodial parenting could be one such inevitable loss that could change the emotional forcefields. I'll put up the request for telephone service so you can get that today if you want.