TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Certified Professional Coach
64783947

Just breakup with my partner due to drinking but that wasn't

Hi just breakup with my partner due to drinking but that wasn't just the reason, she is very timid and keep thins to her self..
Some advice will be appreciated.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I think you need to give her some time and if you are serious about taking a look at your part in things and your drinking then maybe getting into treatment for the drinking would be helpful for you. Then you will be free from its hold and you can begin anew with yourself and possibly with her. She needs some time and she may also need to know you are serious about getting help so making these efforts and sticking to them could go a long way for her and naturally for yourself too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We break up 2 weeks ago, I have contact her by email and she say that don't want to see me at the moment and for me to go and treat my self, which I'm trying.
I have told her by email today this :
Hope you are ok, just want to let you know I went to the counsellor yesterday and doctor.
The counsellor really help because I told everything what happening to me also with us, he say that people sometimes have problems and don't know how to get help and the only escape is alcohol. I told about us and he say we need to slowly build our relation by talking about our issues and be completely honest about everything that we never talk. He say relations sometimes become blank because people don't talk and then our mind become confuse and then negative thoughts arrive.
I'm going to go to counselling every week and can go up to 1 year.
I can see this will really help.
Also I'm on tables to stop alcohol craving and keeps me calm.We can talk for now by email.I'll wait for your AnwserJose xxx
Sounds like you are doing all you can for yourself and that is the place to start. You sent her this lovely email and now you can pull back and give her some time and space to digest it and see if she desires to reach back out. Get well for yourself and life will improve in all areas. Give her the time.
Keep doing your great work and try not to push her or email her over and over again. Space will be helpful. I wish you the best. Please take a moment to click on the rating tab to rate my support. Thanks so much.