Dr-A-Green
Dr-A-Green, Psychologist
Experience:  Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
60381331

There is a woman I work with who I like, but I'm unsure if

There is a woman I work with who I like, but I'm unsure if I should say anything to her especially as I don't know if she is seeing anyone. Any advice?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr-A-Green replied 1 year ago.
There are a few things to consider here before acting on your urge to ask her out... First off, how long have you worked together? Second, does your company have any policies about dating co-workers? Third, do you supervise her or does she supervise you in any capacity? If so, it might set up a weird dynamic that could result in problems. Once I know the answer to some of these questions, I'd be happy to help!Thanks,Dr.G.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as I am aware there are no issues with fellow staff members in my workplace is not an issue as long as it doesn't effect the working relationship. Also, we both work at the same level under the same job title, though I have been working there for longer than she has; 8 years for me and 1 year for her.
Expert:  Dr-A-Green replied 1 year ago.
Okay - thank you, ***** ***** Well, given that you work in the same job and there apparently wouldn't be a power-struggle issue with a supervisor/supervisee type relationship, I don't see why you shouldn't ask her out (or at least try to figure out where she is in her life - currently single, etc). Many people find their significant others at work, so it seems logical that you'd at least have some things in common. If you wouldn't feel uncomfortable continuing to work with her if things don't work out, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it! Have you ever spent time with her socially? If not, is there an opportunity to do so by hanging out in a group after work (with other co-workers, perhaps)? This would give you an idea of what she's like in the social realm and you'd learn much more about her (without having to just ask her out one-on-one right away). Does that sound feasible?Otherwise, you could suggest some sort of ride-share opportunity if you live in the same city. It would give you a chance to spend some no-pressure time with her outside of the immediate working environment. Do those sound like viable options to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much for the advice. Glad you could help me.