TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
54658078

I have had affair, fell in love, she finished but wants to

I have had affair, fell in love, she finished but wants to keep friends.
She going out with someone else, I ask what the best ting she like in her new boyfriend, she did nitveantbto say but finally said sex.
Question is should I just completely finish friendship to stop getting hurt
Category: Relationship
Expert:  TherapistMaryAnn replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

If you feel that continuing to see this person is going to hurt you and that she will put her interests first, then it is probably a good idea to end all contact. While some people can be friends with an ex, emotionally it is very difficult and because of that it is often a good idea to move on. Also, if she has affairs, frequently changes relationships and is only with her current boyfriend because of sex, those are often signs of someone who has difficulty caring about others and forming solid relationships. So even as a friend she might not be that devoted to you. It's better to find people you can bond with who share loyalty and true friendship with you.

If you find that you still want to be with her even though she is hurting you, it might help to talk to a therapist to find out why you are attracted to someone who is not nice to you. Sometimes self esteem can be an issue in relationships. Therapy helps a lot to uncover why and how you can deal with it so you are happy in your relationships.

I hope this has helped you,

Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you from your response I can piece together other factors and make sensible decisions outside of emotion.

You are very welcome! I'm glad I could help. And thank you for the rating and bonus. I appreciate it!

My best to you,

Kate