Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have just been reading about the French Driver whose accelerator

Customer Question

I have just been reading about the French Driver whose accelerator on his Renault Laguna got stuck. I have a Renault Magane Dynamique year 2010 and the accelerator has got stuck 3 times now - it has been into the Renault garage with this but they tell me there is no fault. I carry 2 young children in my car and am somewhat nervous that it will happen again. Is this a fault? What do you suggest I do
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you on this issue..

There were recalls but it depends on exactly what version you have...

What engine does your Laguna have - ?

If you can give me its full reg number, that will help too -

Kind Rgds, MIKE...............................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again...

Thank you for your reply.

My apologies for the mistake - you mentioned Laguna at first and I simply said Laguna instead of Megane... they do in fact have identical management systems on the same versions so thats irrelevant really but the reg number aids me to check on your exact vehicle re recalls etc. ( which would come up as the Megane as well of course )

There is no specific recall for your vehicle with this issue.

What exactly happens in your case - ? You mention in your question that the accelerator "gets stuck"... but what exactly is happening when it does this ?.. ie, is the engine racing,... or do you lose power etc ?

Plus , do you get any fault lights come on the dash when this happens?

What exactly have the Renault garage done / said ?

Rgds, MIKE..........................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. On two occasions it has just accelerated faster - I was on a motorway. On one of these occasions my husband was driving the car.

2. On the other occasion I was coming up to a juncyion and the engine just reved really loudly (everybody was looking at me! must have though I was a girl racer) . I had to turn the engine of.

3. No fault lights come on at all

It has been back to Renault and they have said that there is no fault. If it happens again bring it back!

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again..

Thank you for your reply -

If you remember 2/3 years ago , there was a lot in the media about these issues - albeit on different models, its the same management system..

Your Megane ( and others) have what's called "drive by wire" systems - meaning that the acceleration of the engine is controlled by electrical inputs to the Ecu ( computer ) from a sensor when you press the accelerator pedal.

So when you get this issue, you most likely wont feel that the acceleratorr mechanism has "stuck"... ( though you might ) - but its usually down to a faulty sensor as above. On these, the whole pedal is changed as it comes as a complete unit, pedal assembly / sensor etc - all in one.

So its nothing that you have done, or how you drive etc...nor can you control it. Its basically faulty and needs changing.

Frankly for the dealer to say "bring it back of if happens again is , well, really very silly. They know the fault as you have described it to them - and they also know that while its not doing it - they are not going to find any "faults"... It is dangerous to send you away like that - knowing it has a potential fault.

The safe way forward is to have the accelerator unit changed - and then you know that is sorted for you.

So in line with your initial question - "what do you suggest I do"... that is it as per my last sentence. I have typed all I have to give you an explanation / understanding of what the situation is - so to sort this, the accelerator pedal unit / sensor needs replacing now....

Meanwhile - should you be unfortunate for it to happen while you drive it again .. the safest thing to do is depress the clutch and switch the engine off... while pressing the brake gently to come to a halt - out of the way of traffic. When you re switch on again - it should have reset for you to drive it again.

Let me know if you need anything else on this -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.