Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Laguna 2.0 iDE Dynamique (2002) The key card is not

Customer Question

I have a Laguna 2.0 iDE Dynamique (2002) The key card is not clicking into the holder and sitting properly. I am therefore unable to start the ignition.
Any ideas?
Thanks Debbie
Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help.

.

It is not too uncommon fault with these causing problems like you have on
Renaults that use this sort of key card system and its usually either the card at fault or the reader so it a throw up of the two,but in your case this could most likly be the reader itself at fault - one way to help determine wether it
is actually the reader or the card for example is to try another card if works
better or the problem doesn't happen to second/spare one then you can pretty
much asume the card your using before is the problem and not really down to the reader and they can be repaired http://www.keyrepair.co.uk/index.html - if it
happens to both cards then its most likly the reader or in some cases a more in
depth fault which will need a Renault clip diagnostic
machine to track that down sadly usually Reanult would have that and need to track that down unless you have good independant garage that has that machine - hoovering out the slot as best option to try first - as its
possible for a build up of dust to get trapped inside over time and causing the
little plastic arms/microswitch not be activated properly when the card is
pushed in - or maybe try and build the the thickness of the key card up.. ie:
draw round the card with a very thin bit of card with an over lap so it doesn't
get stuck in reader then insert the key card with thin card along with it to
make it a tighter fit into the slot - if that works a little better then you can
pretty much asume the reader is at fault or needs taken out,stripped down and checked further to see wether anything inside has broken or cleaned a little better and or in most usual cases if the reader is at fault another may have to be installed these don't need to be coded in if another is to be installed for example if you find a good secondhand one on the likes of ebay etc..I do hope this helps you little further..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that, if I were to buy a second hand card reader, would I have to re-programme my two card keys?

Thanks in advance,

Debbie

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..

You shouldnt essentially need to programme the cards again - the reader is just essentially that - just the card reader which the car uses to see the keycard,deactivate immobiliser/start,stop - aswell as which holds the card in so as to start the car and then to release/pop the card out once the cars switched off..so it could well be the internals of the reader at fault.they can be taken apart and checked if need be and see what you find.if it can't be repaired then it would need replaced...Like i say above these systems are very common for being problamatic..Try your spare card and see if its the same..i do hope this helps further

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, positive that it's the reader as have tried both key cards. Thanks for your advice.

Debbie

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi.there..thats no problem..glad to help..If you ever need any further advice or help then you know where i am..

ps..please dont forget to rate/accept the answer above..always very much appreciated..regards Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi..there..

I see recently you have viewed your answer recently.and just wondered if you required any further help?

If you need to follow up or ask anything else before you positively rate your answer? then you are always more than welcome too and continue on the same question should you need to ask anything else...

Let me know,:)

Regards[Robert]